THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Papa Don

is one Smokin' Farker
I step away for a minute and now everyone is using/talking about beef tallow.
Adding liquid fat and not even regular fat, “wagyu” melted fat. 🙄
As if the price of brisket isn’t high enough, now I have to buy premium beef fat?!
Whatever floats your boat I guess but my BBQ crazy obsession stops here!
That is of course unless you all think it’s necessary….. 😂😂😂

I step away for a minute and now everyone is using/talking about beef tallow.
Adding liquid fat and not even regular fat, “wagyu” melted fat. [emoji849]
As if the price of brisket isn’t high enough, now I have to buy premium beef fat?!
Whatever floats your boat I guess but my BBQ crazy obsession stops here!
That is of course unless you all think it’s necessary….. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Blame YouTube.
There’s all these “new” bbq personalities on there. Since YouTube is about content, they’re all doing crazy stuff to try to build content.
Most of it is nonsense and doesn’t make bbq any better, just increases their subscriber base.

File this in that category.

I used beef tallow when I made my very first brisket last year. The brisket was absolutely stunning in taste and texture. You are correct in stating that meat has its own fat. But over the course of an 8-12 hour cook, meat dries, moisture evaporates and anything I can do to ensure that a $75 piece of beef stays juicy, I'll do.

After my brisket has been on the smoker for about 6-7 hours, post-stall, I remove it and wrap it in parchment paper. I slather the brisket with the melted beef tallow, wrap it and place it back on the smoker for several more hours. The 2 pictures you see, were taken at this time. The third picture is the end result.

I'll be making another 15-pound brisket this coming Saturdayf or my Father's Day BBQ. Once again I'll be using my tallow and will be experimenting with a slather prior to initially placing it in the smoker. I'll be posting some pics during and after the cook.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted as you progress. We would love to hear your thoughts and how your cook(s) turned out.

Peace.

Attachments

When I smoke a brisket these days I put the trimmings over the rack above the brisket and let it melt down from where it came from, I dont have to worry about what their beef tasted like or how it was prepared . I also I aint out more $ ymmv

Blame YouTube.
There’s all these “new” bbq personalities on there. Since YouTube is about content, they’re all doing crazy stuff to try to build content.
Most of it is nonsense and doesn’t make bbq any better, just increases their subscriber base.

That's right, John - just a buncha posers looking for money for nothing and grills for free. That ain't workin'.

Next thing you know they'll start doing videos claiming that repeated flipping of steaks makes them taste better than the tried and true way.

:laugh:

That's right, John - just a buncha posers looking for money for nothing and grills for free. That ain't workin'.

Next thing you know they'll start doing videos claiming that repeated flipping of steaks makes them taste better than the tried and true way.

:laugh:

These youngsters with their flips and their flops. Using tallow and cooking in a boat that is shallow.

Back in my day all we had was two holes in the ground.
One to crap in and the other to cook in.

Change is bad!

giphy.gif

Bingo!!

I'd do the same if I had a YT channel since BBQ channels are dime a dozen nowadays. You have to be creative. Or at least try to gain subscribers.

Blame YouTube.

No tallow here either. I put the brisket fat cap up after wrapping in BP. The flat sits in a really deep bath of its own juices. Been doing that for a very long time. I don't see that adding another inch of tallow would help. It would just be more tallow to spill out of the BP.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Lol, if I hadn’t bought something other than buffalo trace, I wouldn’t have known that Angels Envy was pretty good stuff!

C’mon ya old farks!! :p:p
What is this Buffalo Trace & Angels Envy you speak of? You mean there is something other than Jim Beam & Wild Turkey?!?!? :noidea:

Back