Q for work picnic, Chicken, beef & pork????

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello Brethren,
I offered to Q the meat for a work picnic. I would line to do pork, beef & chicken to cover most people's pallet. I was thinking smoking some chucks to tender for beef BBQ. If I could find a cut that's less expensive, but still beefy and marbled enough for low & slow TX style BBQ it would be good. Boneless skinless chicken thighs, fatty enough to stay moist. Boneless - skinless makes it fewer steps to easily pull, lightly sauced w/ a mild sweet BBQ sauce. Pork hot links to smoke and slice, easy peasy for those who like heat. All can go on sliders or simply as entree.
Does this sound like a good mix? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I know pulled pork butt is easy and inexpensive, but pulled chicken, been and pork seems like not enough variety.
Your thoughts & suggestions?
JD

Your plan sounds good. I've lost track of the number of work related and group feeds I've helped out with. Putting burgers and brats aside, boneless skinless thighs and pork loins have tremendous value and are pretty quick cooks.

I like to brine the chicken 4 or 5 hours, then marinate in Italian dressing. I inject the loins with a lite brine of apple juice and salt with the ratio of 1 gram of salt per ounce of juice. We grill the chicken in stages. The Sara Lee rolls or Kings Hawaiian rolls are good for sliders. We generally buy the large tubs of potato salad or macaroni salad to keep on ice for sides.

I like the chicken idea. Season very well, dump it in a pan, add butter...that's pretty tough ta beat. Pulled pork is also quite the treat fer people who normally don't eat it, I find it the easiest and most boring of all BBQ meats.

-D

Your plan sounds good. I've lost track of the number of work related and group feeds I've helped out with. Putting burgers and brats aside, boneless skinless thighs and pork loins have tremendous value and are pretty quick cooks.

I like to brine the chicken 4 or 5 hours, then marinate in Italian dressing. I inject the loins with a lite brine of apple juice and salt with the ratio of 1 gram of salt per ounce of juice. We grill the chicken in stages. The Sara Lee rolls or Kings Hawaiian rolls are good for sliders. We generally buy the large tubs of potato salad or macaroni salad to keep on ice for sides.

Thanks third,
I would have never considered pork loin. The only ones I see in my local grocery are pre-brined & usually marinated pork tenderloins. I believe this are a different cut than tenderloin. Is that correct?
How do you portion and serve the loins at a large feed?
JD

Hey third,
I check out your website. I really enjoyed it. I especially liked your chuck recipe. I'm going to look for a clod.
Thanks again!
JD

I like the chicken idea. Season very well, dump it in a pan, add butter...that's pretty tough ta beat. Pulled pork is also quite the treat fer people who normally don't eat it, I find it the easiest and most boring of all BBQ meats.

-D

Thanks,
Interesting perspective on pulled pork. It certainly is inexpensive, which is a bonus. Another bonus is if you add a little liquid and sauce it it'll stay moist in a warmed pan. While I think hot pork sausages sliced would be a nice contrast to the shredded chuck and pulled BBQ chicken, I fear it would get dry after sliced.
Your thoughts?
JD

Back