Pulled Pork - saucing question

aks801

is Blowin Smoke!
Almost all of my Q experience is with beef (except for pork & venison sausage). I have a hankerin' to tap some butt (pork, that is).

My questions have to do with saucing. It looks like when you're shredding/pulling the pork that you sauce it up some at that time. Am I right? And then you can have sauce available to add for each serving as wanted. My plan is to make up some Roxy's Mustard Sauce to add for each sammich. So, would I add some of that while pulling first? Or would I use something else? So do you call it a pulling sauce and then a finishing sauce? Chances are extremely good that I'm over-complicating this.

I'm from Texas, not the Carolinas, which is no doubt painfully obvious by my questions.

Thanks, y'all.

I pan my pork butt after it hits an IT of 165-170 with some apple juice. Then I use the captured juice to add back when pulling plus some of the dry rub I used on the pork butt when it was smoking.

I agree with all of the above. Pork butt/shoulder is very forgiving, but it still can dry out. If you need a little moisture, a spritz of apple juice or apple cider vinegar (or NC-style sauce if you can get it) will add some valuable H2O without adding much more than a very subtle flavor. Just don't drown it. Then serve with a sweet KC-style sauce, a mustard sauce, a NC-style sauce and a hot sauce if you like.

I've started using Cattleman's Carolina Tangy Gold. It's pretty good and real convenient. Just fill up a little squeeze bottle and let folks add as they please.

I've got a mixed household between sweet, spicy, and naked when it comes to sauce on the PP, so I've learned to just pull it and then keep it covered when it's not being served to help keep it moist with a counter top full of different sauces next to it. It's a strategy that seems to keep the wars to a minimum, so I stick with it.

This has been a staple for me for some time no matter what sauce it gets served with. I usually use about half of this but flavor to your taste. Hope you try it.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/51933/soflaquers-finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork

Ok now that was what I had in mind! I'll try that "finishing sauce" just to add some hydration and "complexify" the flavor. Then probably have a few table sauces available so folks have a choice.

Man, I'm hungry!

^^^^^ Sometimes this forum just makes me feel like I don't anything about bbq. For example, I don't even know what "complexify" means. Probably going to use it again though:becky:

I say that you should do it the way that you like it! You're the one who put the blood and sweat into it (possibly tears if your cook didn't go as planned), they should be honored that you invited them to sample your labor of love.

If you are truly looking to please all however, as I often do despite my own advice to you, I usually keep the pork moist by doing the following:

Take the butt that has been wrapped in foil off of the smoker and let it vent/rest, etc.

Then when I pull it, I throw the pieces into a separate aluminum pan. When done pulling, I then take out a strainer and strain all of the liquid from the foil into the pulled pork and then toss. Then I serve the different types of bbq sauce on the side (I always try to warm my sauces, or at least have them at room temp- I hate cold sauce on a warm sandwich).

This way the meat stays moist from the strained drippings, and then your guest can doctor it up any way they'd like to. Either way, they should be honored and better tell you it's the best damn BBQ they've ever had;-)

Last edited:
I hate wet pork, I don't add anything to my finished pork product. I do serve sauces on the side, and personally prefer a thin, acidic red sauce, with a sweet edge, for pork. But, unless I have to hold it, in which case, I will add in some pork jus, I tend to roll with it as it is pulled/chopped.

If I am going to cook something for a cook, where I know I will hold the meat, I will run a pan under the meat, to get some of the liquid off of the pork. In that case, I add 2 cups of water to a pan, place on the rack under the butts and catch the juices that way.

I have an eastern carolina style finishing dip/sauce that I use. I only add in about 1/3 -1/2 cup to 8-12lb pork butt once I pull it. It doesn't end up wet, just keeps it moist. Also not a lot of huge flavors, just enough to elevate the pork flavor. Then i serve different sauces on the sides.

Finishing Dip - Use 1/3 - 1/2 cup for 1 8-12lb pork butt.
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons crushed red peppers (I prefer it with a little bit more, but i find most people like it when it isn't as spicy)
2 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoon turbinado sugar

Ok now that was what I had in mind! I'll try that "finishing sauce" just to add some hydration and "complexify" the flavor. Then probably have a few table sauces available so folks have a choice.

Man, I'm hungry!

I've use that finishing sauce a few times, it's awesome. If you don't have that exact creole seasoning just throw a few things together and it's still awesome.

Recently I have been saucing with the North Carolina Vinegar Sauce recipe below (I got it from a bbq recipe book I have...may be a Raichlen (sp?) book).

I have found that most people like the apple vinegar flavor on the pulled pork and many people have been asking for recipes recently. I try not to drown the pork in it, but it does add a nice flavor to the meat.

North Carolina Vinegar Sauce
2 cups cider vinegar
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons coarse salt
1 tablespoon tabasco or other hot sauce
1 -2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes, more to taste
1-2 teaspoons black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive mixing bowl and whisk until salt and brown sugar dissolve. taste for seasoning adding hot pepper flakes as necessary

always use one of these for directly topping a sandwich.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/12-oz-Squeeze-Bottles-pk-Clear/dp/B000QJBNII"]Amazon.com - 12-oz. Squeeze Bottles 3 pk. - Clear - Food Dispensers@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41iuDZZlr4L.@@AMEPARAM@@41iuDZZlr4L[/ame]

I foil mine after 4-5 hrs I save all the juice in the foil and run it through a defatting cup. I pour the juice back onto the Pullled along with a touch of Cider vinegar and some salt mix taste adj and serve. Aint never had a complaint mostly cause folks know I'm a dead shot:heh:

I pull the pork and put it out plain - I've found a lot of folks like it just with
the smoke flavor. I also put a wide variety of sauces out (mustard-based/
vinegar-based/KC/Memphis/etc) and let people put on what they want.
That seems to work best for my family/friends. There's no real common
denominator besides they like the basic smoked pork taste.

Try it how you think will be the best and then try an alternative. There is
a surprising amount of folks that just like it plain off the smoker. Can't
argue either, as I always liked a sauce but have been moving to the plain
side.... To each his own, I guess.

Good luck!
jb

i catch drippings, then seperate the fat. You'll be surprised how much juice comes out that isn't just fat. I mix that back into the meat after pulling and sprinkle with the rub i used prior to cooking.

I serve with an array of sauces. SC mustard, East NC vinegar, West NC tomato vinegar, and Griffins (thanks Boshizzle). I also put a bottle Sweet baby rays out for the weirdos that like that on pulled pork. Unless you are trying to force your flavor on those you are feeding, there is no need to "sauce" the pulled pork.

Also, in my experience, it doesn't really start drying out until pulling. best bet is to foil after cooking to let it rest. don't pull until its time to serve.

Back