THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KC Smoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Dirt
Lately I've been enamored by the idea of cooking on campfires after a recent camping trip. I see what Cowgirl is doing and I've been watching Andrew Zimmern's Wild Game Kitchen a lot. I'm still trying to sort out an over the fire grate since I don't want to by junk that will ultimately have to replaced. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows where to get a good enameled Potjie pot here in the states. What I've seen on Amazon seems to be Chinese made junk. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.

https://potjiepot.com/

dont know about em really but quick google turned up that site, no idea who manufactures them tho

I'm fairly confident that those are all made in China. I did a bunch of research in 2012 before getting a South African-made #8 potjie and paid more than the they're asking for one now. I bought it from the vendor you linked, but bought thru their Amazon storefront since they had the same pricing there and I could get free prime shipping.

At that time, they carried both Chinese and African pots and discussed the differences in quality; the Chinese ones were much less expensive but also had much poorer quality. I looked back a few years later and they had stopped caring anything but Chinese-made potjies because the prices of both had gone up dramatically due to material and shipping costs.

Last edited:
How big of a potjie are you looking for?

If you want US-made, you'll probably have to get one that's sold as a Dutch oven. I don't think I've seen any very large enameled ones. Lodge has some made in the USA but they don't have legs and the largest is 7.5 qts: https://www.lodgecastiron.com/usaenamel

I just re-seasoned my #8 potjie last week for a chicken stew Saturday. It holds a bit less than 5 gallons.

Attachments

• PXL_20231108_165329314.jpg
    PXL_20231108_165329314.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 119
Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it. The search goes on.

Back