I also agree with Bob C Cue on the over all spend. I have just finished building a 55 gal UDS and I have just invested over 3 bills in it. Stainless Steel hardware, new grates, charcoal basket, casters, steel piping for intake and exhaust, brass valves, paint, also all the supplies to prep this new somker. It all ads up quick. I build mine very similar to (Daddy Cooks over on you-tube), will try to post some photo's of mine in the next few days.

Guys don't be afraid to experiment with different coals in the PBC. The "ridge" line of coals to my understanding are rebranded Royal Oak. Just picked up this 20# bag $4.87

Last edited:
I also agree with Bob C Cue on the over all spend. I have just finished building a 55 gal UDS and I have just invested over 3 bills in it. Stainless Steel hardware, new grates, charcoal basket, casters, steel piping for intake and exhaust, brass valves, paint, also all the supplies to prep this new somker. It all ads up quick. I build mine very similar to (Daddy Cooks over on you-tube), will try to post some photo's of mine in the next few days.

Buying new does add up quickly. I suspect that most people who say that less than $100 on their UDS had many of parts and tools already and/or they spent time scrounging. Nothing wrong with it but they are not including all of the costs.

Back on topic on this thread...$100 is a stupid # for anything decent imho. (newer parts)

I know some drum guys spit out those kinda numbers but it's silly. New parts do add up...some guys scavenge up their own used parts with some new. This whole argument/discussion is kinda silly. lol

Back on topic on this thread...$100 is a stupid # for anything decent imho. (newer parts)

I know some drum guys spit out those kinda numbers but it's silly. New parts do add up...some guys scavenge up their own used parts with some new. This whole argument/discussion is kinda silly. lol

I agree. Comparing something that built from brand new parts to something that consists of scrounged and new parts is not really a meaningful comparison. For example, I can repurpose the parts from a gas grill that I have and make it into a charcoal grill. Does that mean it I've paid too much for my Weber kettle? :biggrin1:

Thanks very much for sharing your costs. Sounds like you built one heck of a UDS. Would like to see some pics!

Was just reading an article on the growth of drums being used at BBQ comps. Gateway Smokers was mentioned. They looked very nice but was surprised by the prices:
$649 for the 30-gal and $799 for the 55-gal. This price includes your team graphics and shipping.

Makes the $299 price for the porcelain-coated PBC look like a real steal.

Was just reading an article on the growth of drums being used at BBQ comps. Gateway Smokers was mentioned. They looked very nice but was surprised by the prices:
$649 for the 30-gal and $799 for the 55-gal. This price includes your team graphics and shipping.

Makes the $299 price for the porcelain-coated PBC look like a real steal.

I can build one for less. :tsk: That's a pretty hefty convenience fee.

Meet Lucille

Thanks very much for sharing your costs. Sounds like you built one heck of a UDS. Would like to see some pics!

Hi Bob C Cue, I had to give her a name. So, looking at some of my receipts I could have cut the cost down, but, it was a fun project and why skimp.

Attachments

• Lucille.jpg
    Lucille.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 153.jpg
    153.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 148.jpg
    148.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 56
Hi Bob C Cue, I had to give her a name. So, looking at some of my receipts I could have cut the cost down, but, it was a fun project and why skimp.

Thanks. Great looking build. And even though you didn't skimp, it looks like you spent less than half of what the Gateway drums sell for.

Or perhaps you give it to the person that wins the Wing Barrel Challenge. Which of course likely means she will be making the ride back home with you!

Or perhaps you give it to the person that wins the Wing Barrel Challenge. Which of course likely means she will be making the ride back home with you!

LOL, ok you put your PB up with my shiny new BP drum as a prize! The drum is easily worth $300

Back