Pics from Yesterday's cook, with fajita semi-success!

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Big C
Hey y’all. It was a bit hectic yesterday so I forgot to take a lot of pics, but I figured I would share the few that I took of yesterday’s cook. It was only really notable because: 1) I very rarely do ribs on the grill and 2) I tried fajitas again after seeking your advice (thread/cry for help here: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275250)

I started with some beef skirt that I trimmed but did NOT hit with the tenderizing mallet. Marinated it for a few hours using more or less the Pappasito's recipe that y'all mentioned:

bJR4VxUh.jpg

I wanted ribs, but only had a couple of hours to cook, so that rules out the stickburner. Rubbed them in a heavy coat of Bolner's Fiesta Brand Pork Rub and SuckleBusters Hoochie Mama, then put them indirect over some briquettes/mesquite chunks/apple chips. The pics are kinda out of order...this is a pic of the ribs right as they were almost done. 45 minutes nekkid on the grill then foiled for another 45 (yeah, yeah :p), and a final 15 minutes to glaze them a bit. I just threw together a basic vinegar/Dr. Pepper/butter kinda sauce to brush on.

uPmy6mwh.jpg

Father-in-law loves my grilled chicken, so I added a bird to the party. Dry brined it the night before with Bolner's Fiesta Brand Chicken Rub, SuckleBusters Clucker Dust, kosher salt, and paprika. Total cook time was just under 90 minutes. Every 15 minutes or so I would baste it with melted garlic butter. Also, no beer can in there, just the rack.

1L8ljmOh.jpg

At this point, I totally forgot to take pics for the rest of the cook, or of the results, save for one taco that I made with the fajitas. I ran to answer the doorbell while they were grilling, hence why some of them inadvertently came out well done :mad::mad2: I ate that portion and gave the medium ones to the others. :laugh:

ACHyNcQh.jpg

Thanks for encouraging me to try fajitas again. They came out great as far as tenderness and flavor goes! I will say that there was a tiny bit more pineapple dominant flavor than I was expecting. Guess I'll just keep tweaking that recipe until I get it how I like it. But I'm not completely discouraged about fajitas anymore. :becky:

Last edited:
Looks delicious from here!

Keep up the experimentation. Folks 'round here haven't steered me wrong yet.

Enjoy!

Back