THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toddler

Probably can't go wrong with any of these pits, but I'm all ears. Typically just feeding family and a few friends, and it'll sit in my backyard until I die. You guys collectively know a lot more than I do, and I'm only going to get to make this decision once in my lifetime, so please help me get this right.

Outlaw Smokers 2440
Lang 48" Deluxe Patio
Jambo Backyard/Junior
Franklin BBQ Works

They all have pros & cons:

- Franklin's lack of a firebox damper worries me without much track record yet
- Lang's sliding shelves and warmer box seem to offer a lot of value
- Outlaw seems to be really well designed and I like the firebox damper system
- Jambo...well, it's a Jambo

I believe the Lang is reverse flow, and the others are direct. Not sure that matters in the long run, but I've never cooked on a reverse flow pit.

For me personally and not knocking any of these cookers as they all have their benefits in their own right.

Jambo due to the track record and what I would personally use it for.

But Id add a Shirley on that list of yours before I decided if I was you.

Reading about the outlaw ... but ... how many racks does it have ? I have only seen 1..... and they have an optional "microwave rack... as the upper temp seems to be quite a bit higher than the bottom rack .... so if there are upper and lower racks ... is the top rack a lot hotter ? Just confused and just asking as it seems to be a nice smoker.

I’d check out Primitive or Workhorse pits. I just got a Primitive “babe” and am loving it so far. No firebox damper, but I cook with my door open anyway. I believe that the Workhorse pits have a firebox damper now.

Definitely add Shirley and Lone Star Grillz to your list.

Shirley would be the best value on a pit that is made as well as anything. The issue is you will be waiting 2+ years to get it (unless you settle for their 24X36 model which is still a darn good pit and comparable to those on your list.)

I really like reverse flow, so they rank higher in my book.

Lang really speaks to me. Of all the pits you list, they have a feel to me that is unmatched. Maybe a little crude compared to something like a Shirley or Lonestar when it comes to the welds and fitment (they are not bad though), but for a BBQ pit, it will last just as long and I like the slight crudeness. Crude works for BBQ pits, and Lang's slight crudeness adds to their attraction in my eyes. Lang has been around for a long time, and their are a slew of really nice old ones in my area. Still hardly any come for sale used as the people that own them love them.

So for me, best value: Shirley
Best Made: toss up with Shirley and or Lonestar (all are good though), Jambo tends to over due To me, maybe fine for you.
Most desirable in my eye: Lang

just my 2 cents

Last edited:
I was really interested in getting a Jambo Backyard (like the idea of the stock insulated firebox), but those casters...it made it look like an absolute PITA in moving to/from my garage.

From my understanding, Jamie wasn't really interested in providing larger/upgraded wheels for easier transportation.

I was really interested in getting a Jambo Backyard (like the idea of the stock insulated firebox), but those casters...it made it look like an absolute PITA in moving to/from my garage.

From my understanding, Jamie wasn't really interested in providing larger/upgraded wheels for easier transportation.

Good choice. And you can always upgrade the casters yourself.

I had discounted the Shirley 24x36 mainly because it didn't have that traditional offset appearance, but I just researched it a bit and it looks like another excellent option.

I love the look of the Workhorse pits, and the prices are right.

Thanks for those suggestions.

In my opinion Lang isn't what they used to be. Just me though. Lots of people still love them. You'll never see an offset thread without someone mentioning Shirley. Their just really well built and have a huge following. Shirley will build a standard round reverse flow or direct flow. It's a really long wait though.

Since you'll mostly get us recommending the pits we bought I suggest you buy the one that "talks" to you the most. You know, the one you'll think about forever if you don't get it now. I have to admit I've always wanted a Jambo back yard model but I end up with a shirley every time. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

i cook on a lang60 org. it`s a very user friendly pit it has dampers on the fire box plus damper in the stack it is the chevrolet of smokers jambo and shirley both halve long wate list ben can halve you one in a mater of weeks franklin look like your paying a lot for a name IMHO

Last edited:
Is this the Toddler I know? I assume it is. This feels like we've traveled back in time.

A couple weeks ago, I checked out the outlaws at local place. I was prepared to be blown away and came away fairly unimpressed. I'm in a raffle for one this weekend and am probably blowing my chances of winning by typing this, but you asked. For as much as they charge like a premium brand there seemed to be quite a bit of skimping. Not bad, just not what I expected. My az bbq outfitter rig is built MUCH sturdier and I expected them to be comparable.

Had a Lang 36, and it was serviceable. No complaints. No real reason to champion it either.

Haven't used franklin or jambo. Outlaw seems to borrow heavily from jambo and I'd go with the OG in that case.

Last edited:
Is this the Toddler I know? I assume it is. This feels like we've traveled back in time.

Indeed, FMT! I emailed you a few months ago (after a LONG delay in replying to your previous email) but heard nothing back. You came to mind recently when I was looking at driving to Warsaw to pick up an Outlaw. Glad to think we might reconnect. :)

Back