Original New Braunfels Bandera

Mez70

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Jim
Hey guys, new to the site. But not new to smoking. I came across a NB Bandera, and want to go look at it in person. Looks like it needs some work. Just wondering how to tell if it's an original version. Or something that came out later, with lower quality parts. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Thanks for replies. The one I've come across is definitely not 1/4" thick steel. So obviously it's a newer version.

Never owned one but would love to find an original in restorable shape. My understanding is the original was welded. Look for thick steel and welds. If it's bolted together its China's finest.

I just looked at the NB bandera manual, it doesn't show what the thickness is. The assembly steps do indicate that the firebox is bolted to the cook chamber though.
Newer ones were made by Oklahoma Joe, not sure if they acquired NB or what. The Bandera 101 should have all the info you need and more. From what I've read this site was originally named the bandera brethren.

Last edited:
I don't know Bandera history but do know that it's inspiration and predecessor, the OK Joe Vertical Roasting oven, was fully welded construction and 3/16" thick. They were made 20+ years ago and mine came from Sam's.

NB Badging

Here's an original badge:
NB Badge.jpg
My Bandera is 11 gauge steel, so just under 1/8" thick.
I believe the original NB business model was to make the product transportable to the customer's home for assembly, so multiple boxes with bolt together assembly. After CharBroil bought them out, I think distribution went entirely to the big box stores...

I restored a New Braunfels smoker that has the "Made in USA" badge. It's around 30 years old. The thickness that I measured is 3/32" which I think is about 13 gauge. I don't know the model name of my smoker, but the model number is 03202812.

Back