Ooni Koda 16 (Pizza things escalated quickly)

Valid point! lol. Quite a difference in a huge smoker vs the Ooni though. Smokers are like works of art

certainly. pizza is a work of art too

I'm a big pizza junkie so to me its easy to justify. I make pizza a LOT and often send it back to school for my boys when they come home on a weekend.

I totally get the $600 price seems like a lot. I don't really disagree. All based on how much you use something.

The idiots math :p I did in my head was, every time I fire up my egg for a single pizza it burns about 6lbs of lump. Lump I've been getting recently is ~$1/lb. So $6 in fuel for 1 cook.

Based on the propane burn rate Ooni states you'll get about 30-35'ish pies off a 20lb tank (read a few Ooni forums where folks had tracked cooks and verified those numbers. Let's just call it 30 because I don't use things efficiently :-D. My last propane exchange was ~$20. So that's $.66 for a cook

Of course if you cook more than 1 pie per cook these numbers obviously get more efficient per price of each pie..................my brain can only take so much :icon_blush:, but you all get the point.

And let's be honest I didn't pull the trigger because I knew over time I'd be saving money. I wanted the oven :becky:.

So eventually it will break even, plus it fires up crazy easy/fast, this thing is portable and the taste so far is better than my egg. So a lot of bonuses if you cook a bunch of pizza.

I totally get the $600 price seems like a lot. I don't really disagree. All based on how much you use something.

The idiots math :p I did in my head was, every time I fire up my egg for a single pizza it burns about 6lbs of lump. Lump I've been getting recently is ~$1/lb. So $6 in fuel for 1 cook.

Based on the propane burn rate Ooni states you'll get about 30-35'ish pies off a 20lb tank (read a few Ooni forums where folks had tracked cooks and verified those numbers. Let's just call it 30 because I don't use things efficiently :-D. My last propane exchange was ~$20. So that's $.66 for a cook

Of course if you cook more than 1 pie per cook these numbers obviously get more efficient per price of each pie..................my brain can only take so much :icon_blush:, but you all get the point.

And let's be honest I didn't pull the trigger because I knew over time I'd be saving money. I wanted the oven :becky:.

So eventually it will break even, plus it fires up crazy easy/fast, this thing is portable and the taste so far is better than my egg. So a lot of bonuses if you cook a bunch of pizza.

No need to justify the cost to me! I'd love to have one I was just kind of shocked when I pulled up the price. Guess I really had no idea how much they cost. Looks like they make great pizza though!

when i was brewing my own beer/wine/mead I sold myself on 'cost savings' as well... :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I’m just here to help!

:mrgreen:

you're not helping bro!!!! i can't even afford the smoker I want...... :laugh:

lemme see.... the smoker I WANT vs the smoker I NEED vs the smoker I HAVE... the pizza oven I want vs the pizza oven I need vs the pizza oven I have... the pickup I want vs the one that I need vs the one that I have... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For now I'll have to stick with the wife's measly 6qt KitchenAid :p.

Here's the rest from last night. I'm excited that the pizza peel and rotator came today. I attempted to launch the pizza off some parchment yesterday, but couldn't get it to release from the parchment even with the semolina flour. Since the parchment wasn't cut to just under the pizza the exposed parchment went up in flames immediately, lol :caked:.

But really only charred one little part. So this was the 1st pie that started directly on the stone and took maybe 2 total minutes. I actually forgot to time it.

Might be taking a pizza break tonight :crazy:, but definitely doing 2 tomorrow.

2fFLarXl.jpg

KQeqsxNl.jpg

qlpNinRl.jpg

aZwHyUFl.jpg

Tk6U04dl.jpg

CtKjIkZl.jpg

Ev4CY5sl.jpg

p8qEtztl.jpg

I love my ooni, I actually modified mine with a motor and a round stone. That allows me to leave the pizza alone and still get an even cook. I've done steak and wings inside of it and both have come out great

Pie's are looking great! Keep at it

I love my ooni, I actually modified mine with a motor and a round stone. That allows me to leave the pizza alone and still get an even cook. I've done steak and wings inside of it and both have come out great

Pie's are looking great! Keep at it

I've seen the motor and roundnstone mod. Which ones did you go with?

I probably won't change anything right away but always curious on what others are doing.

Jason ... great pizza. I also use some parchment paper but I trim around the pie so not too much catches fire. After a few seconds, the bottom won't stick to the paper and I just lift up the pie and pull the paper out. I never have had luck with a launcher and I find this the easiest.

Looks great!

For launching, a wood peel, dusted with semolina is my recommendation. The key is to build and launch the pie as quick as possible once the dough hits the peel. Don't forget to give it a quick shake once it's topped to make sure it slides.

Back