Offsets with insulated FBs?

peterm

Hi all,

I'm trying to come up with a list of patio offset makers with insulated fireboxes. It's not cold here in Florida, but we have little kids running around who aren't great about keeping hands off, and I'd rather they get a minor burn from an insulated FB than an uninsulated. Hopefully it will be a bit easier to maintain the finish too. Who makes them for patio models? I think Shirley has it as an option, and it's standard on Outlaw. I thought LSG had it on some of their larger smokers, but I don't see it now.

In the meantime, I'll keep working on getting the kids to respect boundaries!

My LSG has an insulated FB.... I'm sure Chris will build you one if you request it. I would pick up the phone and ask.

I think most of the pit builders offer a insulated firebox, listed or not. I'm actually trying ta recall a builder that didn't.

-D

I don't think LSG likes making them because they've disappeared from the options on the webpage. They try to direct people to the 1/2 inch if they are concerned about cold weather. I think it's mostly hard to build a insulated door that won't warp. My Franklin pit is semi-insulated and a casual touch won't burn you but you'll know to get the heck away.

Fatstack does semi insulated ( just the sides and bottom) which could work too keep little ( and big) hands safe

Be careful with fully insulated FB on backyard models in Florida. Small pit you will get an oven affect and very little wood coals will be needed to
Maintain temp. Id go with semi insulated which is an air gap. I have that on my 250 and works very well. Also external temp is at point where create small burn but not to point with what you would see with no insulation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful with fully insulated FB on backyard models in Florida. Small pit you will get an oven affect and very little wood coals will be needed to
Maintain temp. Id go with semi insulated which is an air gap. I have that on my 250 and works very well. Also external temp is at point where create small burn but not to point with what you would see with no insulation

I hadn't thought of that. That seems like it'd be a non-Florida issue though, right? Or does being 15 degrees or so warmer here make that much of a difference in summer months for the fire size? Semi insulated may be a good alternative.

I hadn't thought of that. That seems like it'd be a non-Florida issue though, right? Or does being 15 degrees or so warmer here make that much of a difference in summer months for the fire size? Semi insulated may be a good alternative.

Correct. The oven affect will be present anywhere if too insulated for CC size. In FL cooking in summertime it can get to a where you might have handful of coals in FB and CC maintaining 250

Back