Oak types for stick burner fuel question....

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hello all!!

Ok, I finally got in touch with a wood guy in the New Orleans area.

His basic wood he delivers, is something he called "Pin Oak".

Has anyone heard of this? Is it good for smoking?

The basic prices for a cord (as I understand it this is 3x4x8) of 18" logs is:
$680

3x4x4 is:
$400

Now, he says he has Post Oak and Red Oak...along with Pecan and Cherry wood those are an extra $50 per 4x4

Hickory is an extra $125 per 4x4

So, trying to figure out what I want.

In the past, I'd pretty much smoked exclusively with hickory...sometimes mixing with mesquite.

I'm not sure I know what oak BBQ tastes like...I'm guessing milder than hickory?

I was toying with getting half hickory and half Oak....but is "Pin Oak" good? Should I pony up for the Post Oak...I hear that's what's prevalent in central TX these days....

Anyway, looking for wood advice....do these prices seem reasonable? This is delivered and stacked.

I was planning to order and get this in August, in preparation for smoker delivery in Sept.

Thank you everyone in advance!!

cayenne

Pin oak is a red oak variety, and is a fast growing landscaping tree. They're fine for smoking.

A cord is 4' x 4' x 8'.
I don't know about LA / NOLA prices but by Arkansas standards those prices are robbery.
There are several oaks that get called pin oaks and all are good for cooking.
In Arkansas willow oak is what is generally called pin oak.
Off the top of my head I can't think of an oak that isn't a good smoking wood.

When did a cord change? Used to be 4x4x8 stacked loose enough a squirrel can get through but not the cat that's chasing it. 3x4x8 now?

Anyway, yeah those prices are insane, at least for around here. In these parts a cord of delivered, split softwood can be had for about $200 if you look around. Hardwoods around $100-150 more. Though I guess last time I looked was pre-covid so maybe that's the going rate now?

Only one so far...

When did a cord change? Used to be 4x4x8 stacked loose enough a squirrel can get through but not the cat that's chasing it. 3x4x8 now?

Anyway, yeah those prices are insane, at least for around here. In these parts a cord of delivered, split softwood can be had for about $200 if you look around. Hardwoods around $100-150 more. Though I guess last time I looked was pre-covid so maybe that's the going rate now?

OH thanks...I thought I read the cord was 3ft wide, with getting 18" logs....

As you can tell, I'm new to all of this.

Could you check your area to see if wood has gotten more $$ with increase fuel charges, etc?

Thanks all for the answers on the Pin Oak.

Hmm...so, far this guy is the only one I've found in the New Orleans area for wood purchase and delivery....

C

Could you check your area to see if wood has gotten more $$ with increase fuel charges, etc?

Looks like softwoods are in the range of $250-350 now and hardwoods are going for $350-475. I guess I should point out that forest products are (or at least were) a major industry here in Oregon so wood is abundant here, that might explain the lower prices.

Sounds like a face cord of 18" pieces, a face cord of 16" "logs" would be 1/3 of a cord.

Sounds very expensive, even for nowadays....

You can try craigs list for wood, or a tree trimming service, after the next hurricane there will be plenty of free wood left on the side of the road...

Don't get hung up on the variety of oak, or whatever, any variety of pecan, hickory, oak, cherry, or fruit wood will be fine.

I like to have a variety of woods on hand for smoking different meats. Typically have Pecan, Post Oak, Apple and Cherry. Maybe some Hickory, as well.

I'd be tempted to get Post Oak, Pecan and Cherry if in your shoes.

I take my pickup about 30 miles and load myself and these are current prices for a 1/2 cord (which have gone up quite a bit in last 2 years).

Post Oak $262.50
Hickory $325.00
Pecan $325
Cherry $400
Apple $440

He charges an extra $100 per 1/2 cord to load and deliver within 20 miles.

While you can smoke with pin oak (red oak), I find the smell extremely off putting...almost to the point of it making me nauseated.

Pecan and Post Oak are my go to woods...both will go just fine with all meat.

In my stick burner all I use is red oak......In fact red oak that has died from oak wilt.
That disease is rampant up here.....Lots of it standing dead....Works for me....
Never noticed a bad taste. Much better flavour then my UDS and skeet chunks or apple.
But what do I know what good BBQ is.....the farking lakes up here freeze solid for 9 months out of the year..

While you can smoke with pin oak (red oak), I find the smell extremely off putting...almost to the point of it making me nauseated........................

When a Red Oak - any Red Oak - is green I find it nasty smelling but when it's seasoned I can't tell the difference between it and White Oak.

I also find all Red Oaks seem to have more moisture in them and take longer to season than White Oak.

Ok...armed with all this knowledge (thanks!)....I'm still poking around.

I'm not on any social media...I'm guessing this might be one time it might help....

Anyway, found another contact...sent an email...no response yet.

These wood guys don't seem to be terribly responsive to emails so far that I've found.

I may try to call later....

C

From what I've seen/read, sellers will SAY they're selling you seasoned wood but, you're much more likely get wet, unseasoned, wood. Buy a moisture meter and measure the wood, seasoned is under 20% moisture.

I plan ahead by getting wood at least 12 months before I need it so it has time to season. It goes without saying; make sure you have space for the wood as a true cord (4'x4'x8') is a lot of wood if you have a small yard like me. Good thing the wifey puts up with my hobbys :)

Will plan next year...

From what I've seen/read, sellers will SAY they're selling you seasoned wood but, you're much more likely get wet, unseasoned, wood. Buy a moisture meter and measure the wood, seasoned is under 20% moisture.

I plan ahead by getting wood at least 12 months before I need it so it has time to season. It goes without saying; make sure you have space for the wood as a true cord (4'x4'x8') is a lot of wood if you have a small yard like me. Good thing the wifey puts up with my hobbys :)

Well, maybe I can plan ahead next year....

I didn't realize I needed a new offset smoker to start BBQ'in again till....June of this year.

;)

Well, maybe I can plan ahead next year....

I didn't realize I needed a new offset smoker to start BBQ'in again till....June of this year.

;)

Lol, I know what you mean. I bought my offset last April (2022) and found out the hard way that sellers don't really sell seasoned wood. I lined up individual splits on a wall that received full sun all day to help speed up the seasoning. That helped and I managed but, now that my stack is now seasoned a year, managing the fire/temps is much easier.

And, I just last week split and stacked two oak trees worth of wood (~1.5 cords?) and will be ready for some serious cooking next summer. Fresh cut, they're still at ~30% moisture BTW. Even though I had a log splitter, I'm still sore from moving all of that wood.

Back