New custom vertical build; we would appreciate the Brethrens’ experienced and candid input

I assure you this smoker will be extremely efficient and will serve your buddy for many years. I build and offset vertical (3/16") and only do so because it provides you a nice direct grilling option when you're not smoking, otherwise I would put the firebox underneath. I have recently created a small uninsulated "vault" style (11 gauge) that is very similar to your design here and it is a great alternative to the throw away $199 gas and electric smoker boxes. I laser cut and use computerized hydraulics to form almost every piece of my smokers. What you have done mostly by hand with little equipment should be very rewarding. In my opinion if you don't need the "grill" and are just smoking, there is nothing better than a vertical style box. Enjoyed your post, thanks.
9940562293_9f645d1490_z.jpg
12094012544_fd71317c97_z.jpg

Thanks so much, I may be in the Austin area in mid-May and would love to come visit your shop.

Dave. Awesome work. Anyone want to buy two WSM 18s? I need seed money so I can drive up to Ocala and pick one of these !!

Cool thread. I always get a kick out of custom builds. It's aways amazing how quickly a well built smoker can rise in weight.

@Dave: just saw this thread. Very cool looking cooker!

BTW: I'm one of those folks that would love to have a vertical, insulated cooker with that amount of cooking real estate (of course, larger would be more gooder :wink:) in that price range.

Q: is there a specific reason to use a pyramid shape for the top of the cooker? Many of the cabinet style cookers I've seen are flat tops. Would seem like extra work/extra material to create that shape.

Thanks!
Bruce

If I could find something like this for closer to 1000 than 1500, i'd be all over it. Though that's not saying that it isn't worth 1500...

But at 1500, you have to compete with similarly priced big name rigs, which is always an uphill battle for a smaller builder.

Would this talk me out of a Backwoods Extended Party which is in the ballpark of size/capacity, has insulation but is only 400 more? Probably not.

BUT, at 1000-1200, this thing has very little competition and would be outstanding value, pending that it burns well.

Either way, I think it's awesome. Great looking rig, great fab skills, and something to really be proud (and envious) of. I'd kill to be able to make something like that.

@Dave: just saw this thread. Very cool looking cooker!

BTW: I'm one of those folks that would love to have a vertical, insulated cooker with that amount of cooking real estate (of course, larger would be more gooder :wink:) in that price range.

Q: is there a specific reason to use a pyramid shape for the top of the cooker? Many of the cabinet style cookers I've seen are flat tops. Would seem like extra work/extra material to create that shape.

Thanks!
Bruce

Sorry, just saw your question. I have a fear developed when cooking in a propane vertical (maybe not real for a charcoal or stickburner)) that flat top cookers will drip condensation if you run a water pan or otherwise have a lot of moisture in the cook chamber so I prefer some kind of slope or rounded top to help channel any condensation to the sides so it does not drip on the food.

If I could find something like this for closer to 1000 than 1500, i'd be all over it. Though that's not saying that it isn't worth 1500...

But at 1500, you have to compete with similarly priced big name rigs, which is always an uphill battle for a smaller builder.

Would this talk me out of a Backwoods Extended Party which is in the ballpark of size/capacity, has insulation but is only 400 more? Probably not.

BUT, at 1000-1200, this thing has very little competition and would be outstanding value, pending that it burns well.

Either way, I think it's awesome. Great looking rig, great fab skills, and something to really be proud (and envious) of. I'd kill to be able to make something like that.

Thanks. Quite frankly I agree with the price and have been trying to hit a price point in the $1,000-$1,200 range. This was my last version of a vertical

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184141

I tried some new ideas, the french doors, rolled dome top and tried a fancy new paint (it's crap) that ran the price up into the same $1,500-$1,700 range but using the pre-fab blank idea, just a normal door, flat top and sticking with tried-and-true Rustoleum high temp paint, I'm pretty sure they would come in right at $1,000. I'm also working on a couple other options, vertical and RF offset, again trying to hit that <$1,000 price point.

I really like this model. What if you just just did a single slope roof with exhaust still in center? Like a lil smokehouse. 3-4" drop from front to back.
That'd be enough so no drip on meats, rain water couldn't pool on top and be easier to Fab.

So, if you were to burn straight splits, you would be emulating the smoke/flavor profile of a traditional offset, right? I didn't know you could maintain a clean burning wood fire in a vertical cooker. I'm learning!

So, if you were to burn straight splits, you would be emulating the smoke/flavor profile of a traditional offset, right? I didn't know you could maintain a clean burning wood fire in a vertical cooker. I'm learning!

You just need a much smaller fire & splits/fuel. Once you establish a good coal bed and get the pit up to temp, maintaining it is just a matter of adding small splits, like the size of a 2"X2", 8"-16" long, no more than 2 at a time in this cooker with plenty of air to get ignition, you don't want smoldering fire.

You just need a much smaller fire & splits/fuel. Once you establish a good coal bed and get the pit up to temp, maintaining it is just a matter of adding small splits, like the size of a 2"X2", 8"-16" long, no more than 2 at a time in this cooker with plenty of air to get ignition, you don't want smoldering fire.

Thanks. Would you say it's easier to maintain a reasonably steady temp in a vertical stick burner like this, compared to an offset? I'm guessing the vertical smoker would burn less wood, right? How would the temp at the lowest grate compare with the top grate temp?

I don't think one is necessarily easier than another but the vertical uses a little less fuel than my offset RF. I tend to build verticals with a heavy baffle plate that separates the firebox from the cook chamber and reserve the lowest grate setting for a drip pan or water pan (personally I don't cook with a water pan much) so I usually position the first real cooking grate at about 6"-12" above the baffle. As such, temps are pretty stable from bottom to top especially at lower cook temps; at higher +300* cook temps it might vary by 20*.

Last edited:
Thanks. Would you say it's easier to maintain a reasonably steady temp in a vertical stick burner like this, compared to an offset? I'm guessing the vertical smoker would burn less wood, right? How would the temp at the lowest grate compare with the top grate temp?

It is easier to get even temps than a traditional offset without a convection plate or tuning plates. Reverse flow offsets have pretty even temps across - that's the whole point of reverse flow. Verticals lose less heat than offsets so they will use a little less fuel as a smaller fire is needed.

Definitely some thought went into this, not just thrown together. Interested to see how it cooks, flows air, burns fuel, etc.

Some very cool touches that make you stand out in this build.

Back