Need Advice - Entry Level Pellet Grills

tdwalker

Full Fledged Farker
I have a friend who has "been authorized" to purchase a entry-level pellet grill. For the purposes of this post, I would define entry level as one available at mass market retailers, i.e., Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart or Warehouse Clubs.

Though I personally have a fair amount of "bbq" experience, none has been on a pellet grill. So, I am asking the brethren to share their vast knowledge.

The brand name I am most familiar with is Traeger, and I am assuming that it is the safe choice, if not the best value. What has your experiences with pellet grills from other entry level pellets grills been (Z-grills, Lone Star, Camp Chef, etc.)?

My friend is looking for something suitable for backyard only, mainly cooking for family and friends. He would like the grill to last, and to be user friendly. Want to stay in $500.00 neighborhood, but could jump up some if it is obviously warranted.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

I don't have a Pellet Grill.
But when I was considering them, I went so far as to locate and almost bought a Green Mountain Grills pellet pooper.
Lots of goo-gaw factor for grilling. I was strongly considering the Davy Crockett for my RV/Home use.
The reason I changed my mind was that a pellet grill would not smoke at the low temperature I wanted to be a Pellet Convert for.
I'd still look at the GMG line for a pellet grill.

I still use pellets for my smoking, because I can get pellets all over town. And I use them a variety of ways...
Just not in a Pellet Pooper.

I have had a PitBoss grill for 4 or 5 years and it is still going strong, except for the rusty bare spots on the outside where it has gotten really hot. I expect to have it a while. I grill and smoke on it.

I just ordered a Grilla Grills Chimp and it already shows that it’s shipped. $520 with free shipping. Should be here Monday.....unless this dang blizzard slows down the process.

Agreed, I also own the Camp Chef, it’s been sitting outside under a cover for over two years. It’s been rock solid, always works & produces great food. The ash cleanout feature is really nice too.

I had one and it worked very well. I had the SE that I purchased as a clearance item. I believe they also have a 3 year warranty. Customer support is good. I would definitely get that over a pit boss or no name brand. Grilla and GMG look to be a step up, but don't have the ash clean out feature. I cooked some great ribs on mine.

Too bad you're not in Texas. I have a pit boss Copperhead new in the box. Problem is it is so heavy it would cost almost as much to ship it than it would to just buy one locally.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I love my Pit Boss. I wanted something affordable to see if I liked the idea of a pellet grill. For under $500 I love it. Holds temp even here in MI I used in temps as low as 40 deg. And I figured I can buy 2 to every one of the big brands.

Bought my son the copperhead 5 for Christmas and his family is enjoying it so far and it is the mid sized upright smoker

B001DI4VN0-1-lg.jpg

Back