My local beef farm came through! What to do with whole beef shank?

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Man talk about nice people! Recently I ordered a 1/2 cow.. I got everything I ordered but the organs that i requested.. Even received the ox tail! I wasn't all that concerned about the organs anyways.. But I did mention it to the farm that It wasn't packaged with my stuff..

Couple days ago I got a text saying "we have your organs and a couple surprises for you too"... Went and picked the boxes up today.

opened the first box to see what goodies were inside. There was a whole beef shank, 1 pack of short ribs, 5 packs of good sized ox tail, and a tongue.

KSN5sOQl.jpg

Opened the 2nd box and got 5 more packs of short ribs cut into square cuts (I like the idea of throwing those on the smoker for a snack). 5 packs of sliced liver and the heart!

aWFEDyEl.jpg

Overall they did right by me! Got extra ox tails, short ribs, and a beef shank. Also they are hooking me up with a sweet meat package of cubed steaks and other things.

But Here's the reason why for a new thread instead of posting this in my Beef thread.... as I would like this to get read... What do you do with a whole beef shank? Have no clue and this thing is massive!

Last edited:
Wow. I've ordered half a pig before... but not half a cow!

I love Gary's idea. I'd love to see a beef version... that'd be amazing.

Definitely a long slow braise on the smoker. If you are able, cutting into 2 1/2" to 3" pieces will make for a more even cook. You will need a hacksaw or better yet access to a meat cutting band saw, otherwise it will braise whole, don't rush it there is a lot of connective tissue that needs time to get tender. You are in for a really delicious treat.

Try Tonybel's Tacos de lengua ( beef tongue tacos).
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230815

Thanks guys for the responses.. I think braising it will be the best thing.. I would probably smoke it in the smoker for 4-5 hrs.. and then finish it in a roasting oven or something.

I already have smaller cut shanks to do this with.. I might use those first as a trest run..l since the vacuum seal has broke on those. But I don't have a saw so It looks like I'm cooking this bad boy whole some time

This is a pork shank, smoked and braised to pullable, served over white beans... but you get the ideer. I've done the same with veal and lamb (yearling) shanks. No reason not to try it out with beef, although your steer was a little heavier than all of these animals.

deKJLYN.jpg

This is a pork shank, smoked and braised to pullable, served over white beans... but you get the ideer. I've done the same with veal and lamb (yearling) shanks. No reason not to try it out with beef, although your steer was a little heavier than all of these animals.

deKJLYN.jpg

yeah man I don't think my shank will fit in a bowl :p

Back