THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kihrer

Full Fledged Farker
I ain't as young as I once was.

I just finished an all day charity event where I smoked 10 pork shoulders and served about 80 people. It gave me a chance to try out my new charcoal basket on my Jambo. My goal was to be able to cook for 4 hours with out having to mess with the firebox and to be able to run at 250 degrees. I have been looking at charcoal box designs and at threads discussing their use on offsets. I decided to design something similar to the Klose maze but I did mine in an up and down fashion versus side to side.

The box is 14 inches square by 12 inches high. It starts with an air-gap wall 1/3 of the way in that runs from the top of the box for 8 inches with a 4 inch gap at the bottom. Then it goes another 1/3 at that air-gap wall starts at the bottom and runs up for 8 inches.

picture.php

The basket was filled with Stubbs and apple wood chunks. I torched the 1/3 of the basket that has the wall that runs all the way to the top. So, the basket burns the first third by traversing downward. It then snakes underneath the air-gap wall and burns upwards. Finally it crosses over and burns down the last third.

picture.php

I lit the basket at 3:45 AM. By 4:30 I was up to temp and I shut the air intake way down on the Jambo firebox. I also closed the exhaust damper to about 1/4 open as that is how you control temp on a Jambo. It let it cruise at 250 degrees until all the white smoke was gone and I was running sweet blue. At 5:00AM I had the 10 shoulders on. The pit quickly recovered by me cracking the door on the firebox for about 5 minutes. I then shut the door tight and the pit held temp with +- 5 degrees until 10:30. At that time I started a chimney full of Stubbs and put them in a small basket that I have. I pulled the big basket and and dumped the remaining coals and reloaded all but the first 1/3. I then pulled the small basket and dumped the coals into the first 1/3 and put the big basket back in. All of this took maybe 10 minutes and during the interim the pit temp was 225. I cracked the door on the firebox until the pit climbed back up to 250 and the closed it tight. Shoulders were ready at 3:30 and pit was still cruising at 250.

This was by far the easiest smoke I have ever done. I even ran errands while my pit was going. I had my daughter watch the Maverick while I was gone but she hummed right along steady as a rock. The shoulders turned out great! I must say it was nice getting to relax a little.

Sorry for the long-winded post but I thought I'd be as detailed as possible in case someone was interested.

Very cool design. I can see that working very well as long as you use "natural" fuel.

Thanks. The fuel choice was a big consideration. As this was my first run, I was concerned about using lump as I thought the burn time would be shorter and the temps might be harder to keep low. I chose Stubbs for the clean long burn and cut my own apple chunks out of splits I had on hand. I got a good smoke flavor and rings on the pork and I think the steady temps helped the end result. I wish I would have taken pictures of the sliced Money Muscles as they had a beautiful ring. I must say, a good portion of that didn't make it out to the people (Chef's privilege you know).

Great design! How big is your Jambo? I am starting to think that gettng a little more sleep might pull me away from my wood fired pit to something else in the future.

Posts like this are exactly the reason I love this place.

Really great idea - I never would have thought of that.

Great design! How big is your Jambo? I am starting to think that gettng a little more sleep might pull me away from my wood fired pit to something else in the future.

It is a 48X24 with a 24X24 insulated firebox. This particular pit isn't one of his advertised models.

picture.php

As you can see it is mounted on my trailer. The charcoal basket fills the door space but has front to back room and some side to side room. It will hold almost 20 pounds of charcoal plus the wood chunks.

Very nice job. :clap2: What made you decide to do an up down design versus a side to side. I am trying to figure out a charcoal basket for my Gator and am trying to read as much as I can about them. Looking forward to any more pics that you take too.Thanks for the post

Very nice job. :clap2: What made you decide to do an up down design versus a side to side. I am trying to figure out a charcoal basket for my Gator and am trying to read as much as I can about them. Looking forward to any more pics that you take too.Thanks for the post

I wanted all heat directed towards the chute opening to the cook area. I felt that the side to side wouldn't deliver the heat as evenly as the up and down as the up and down works in-line with the cookers airflow path. The second reason was that I prefer a top down burn for the cleanest burn. This design gives me a top down burn for two- thirds of the burn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great design! Can you explain your thought process behind using a double air gapped wall instead of just using regular plate steel? I have the same pit but had measured out 10"tall x 15" wide by 18" deep. Do you think this would be too big? Thanks for sharing.

Great design! Can you explain your thought process behind using a double air gapped wall instead of just using regular plate steel? I have the same pit but had measured out 10"tall x 15" wide by 18" deep. Do you think this would be too big? Thanks for sharing.

Sure. The double air gap stops the adjacent column from premature combustion. The transfer of heat between a single piece of steel would set adjacent column on fire and result in too quick and too hot of a burn. The gap on my basket works great as two hours in to the burn, the third column was still unlit.

Mine measures out to ~13 inches tall and that is why I designed the box to 12 inches tall. The other measurements seem in line with what I have. Maybe Jamie changed the door size between doing yours and mine? Not sure. However, this box will not fit in a 10 inch tall opening. The box fills the door when inserting. Once in the actual firebox, I have side-to-side room as well as front-to-back. The door opening is the limiting factor.

Back