Looking for some Help: Offset Fie Management Problem

Kevin James

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
KJ, Renegade Pit BBQ
As the title suggests, I’m looking for some suggestions to solve a fire management problem in my reverse flow offset.

I’ll give the background of what is going on, but long story short, my fire is too tall and I need to figure out how to build a “small, hot fire”.

Background:

I’m running a Kat 24x48 reverse flow and it has been great for everything I have cooked on it over the last year and some change since I got it, except for one thing…. Chicken. I have been having significant problems with the skin turning a very nasty looking grey color instead of that nice golden brown that everyone strives for. I have tried EVERYTHING to fix this issue over the last 6 months, and I FINALLY think I have found the cause. It had nothing to do with too much airflow as the builder and some others suggested. And it also is not a firebox or stack size issue, as both are in line with the recommendations per the Feldon’s calculator for my cook chamber size. Also, the fire has always appeared to run clean as the stack put’s out nothing but clear exhaust, no, white, black, grey or even thin blue smoke, just clean exhaust.

What seems to be causing it is the fire is too tall, and the flames are licking the top of the firebox and I’m guessing that is causing soot to be pulled in to the cook chamber which is then depositing on the chicken skin, causing the greyish skin color. I’m fairly sure this is the issue because I did a couple test cooks that seemed to fix that issue and gave me the nice golden brown skin color, but caused problems keeping a clean burn and keeping the temp up in the chamber.

The first test cook I pulled the firebox grate out which sits about 3 inches above the firebox floor, and I put my V shaped fire management basket directly on the firebox floor. Running it that way the flames did not touch the top of the firebox, and I got the golden-brown skin color.

The second cook, I took everything out of the firebox and built the fire directly on the floor of the firebox. Again, this kept the flames from touching the top of the firebox, and I got the beautiful golden-brown skin color I’m looking for.

The issue with both of these tests is that there was nowhere for the ash to go, so there was a ton of ash build up which I think caused problems with the coal bed and made it really difficult for splits to catch even after being preheated, and it was a struggle to keep temps up as a result.

So, it seems the REAL solution to the problem would be to find a way to build the fire in the fire management basket sitting on the firebox grate, and still keep the fire small enough that it isn’t licking the top of the firebox, and hot enough that it doesn’t have problems running between 275 – 300.

Currently I am running all white oak split’s, the wood is sufficiently seasoned, and splits are between 3-4” diameter and 16 inch in length. I have also sourced wood from couple different venders to rule out the wood source as part of the issue. My next test will be to cut the splits in half length wise using an alligator saw which need to buy, to see if that helps, although that will likely result in needing to add wood twice as often which would be one 8” long 3-4” diameter split every 15-20 minutes.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am determined to solve this problem one way or another!

Have you adjusted the damper on the fire box to slow down the burn aa bit ?
I will close the damper about half way when I have a nice coal bed and feed splits periodically,,,

have you allowed the entire smoker to get hot and burn off
stuff you get on chicken ?

since chicken is cooked quick ?

i would get the smoker really hot then lower cook temp

If you cut the splits in half, like you stated, you could add 2 at a time. Just don't stack them on top of each other. Maybe the flames won't get as high? I've never heard of the issue where flames hitting the top of the fb cause soot. But your testing seems to point to your conclusion.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I experienced similar on my m1 a few times and I agree…it’s soot from an over achieving fire in a smaller firebox. I don’t have that issue with my workhorse but the firebox is massive and I burn small fires. My firebox is quite large (24X48 cook chamber) and I use smaller splits than you…about beer can size around and 12-14” long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any pics of soot? I had same problem. Chicken sausage Mac cheese baked beans had a grey color soot that could be wiped off. Never on big cuts of meat. Also would stick to aluminum foil.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242324

There’s nothing special about chicken, if you’re getting soot on it the same substance would be on the other food. You can just see it easier on chicken and if you swiped your finger across the briskets or pork butts you’d see it there.

Your wood could be too dry, or the way you’re building your fire or arranging your splits combined with the amount of airflow makes it burn too intensely.

I’ve had the problem you describe before. Fire is roaring too big. Too much air movement or dry wood with too much air movement IMO.

Thanks everyone. To answer a few questions, yes, I do close the both the damper and the stack down to try to tame the flames but the problem persists even with the door damper barely open and the stack only a 1/4 open.

Also, I agree that I may only be able to see it on the chicken, but it is surely there on the other food as well, just harder to see.

I guess I will try to get the splits down to a smaller size in length and build a bigger coal bed and see if that helps.

I had the black soot issue a few times when learning to cook on my Shirley. I came to the same conclusion and it turned out to be because the flames were too tall and hitting the top of the firebox. I figured that it was because the flames could not really develop and did not have a chance to completely combust the sooty stuff. I have been building my fires differently lately - not leaning sticks on top of each other, but instead I now lay the sticks in a way that keeps the flames low and calm - closer to each other limiting the flame height/air flow around the sticks. Check out the YouTube video from Jirby BBQ on fire mgmt. It helped me out.

Kevin James please keep Us posted on your progress, I’ve dealt with this many times. Interested to see how you figure it out.

I experienced similar on my m1 a few times and I agree…it’s soot from an over achieving fire in a smaller firebox. I don’t have that issue with my workhorse but the firebox is massive and I burn small fires. My firebox is quite large (24X48 cook chamber) and I use smaller splits than you…about beer can size around and 12-14” long

Quick vid of a fire running hot and clean at 275 today

https://youtube.com/shorts/FWzVZWaohuI?feature=share

Back