Live fire char, ribs and tamales

Smoked&Baked

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Smoked&Baked
A couple days ago my coals and my legs (link to info on my rare disease) gave out before I could put a nice sear on these Santa Maria ribs. I had already over did it, and by the time I sat down back inside I cramped up for a couple days.

Today though I'm back up and shuffling around so I took the lightly seared ribs out there and re-seared them over lump and a little oak. I love me a little live fire char. Apple jalapeño glaze. I'll let these cool down then vacuum seal them 2 bones a bag and freeze them for whenever.

LXQn153.jpg

Then it was time to make myself a little lunch and I grabbed one each of pork, brisket, and chicken, all proteins were smoked and the tamales made with smoked masa too. Then I grilled them over the remaining coals on my little portable grate that I just like using sometimes. Now now, I didn't make these, we let the kids help wrap a few at the tamalada, they eat just fine :)

BdJjJpt.jpg

Once you've wrapped your tamales up in corn husks it doesn't matter if you smoke or grill them after that, you're not changing the taste because nothings penetrating the husk. You're just reheating but you can't tell me it ain't fun and doesn't smell fantastic! I mean look at this:

08SLouF.jpg

I think I'll be going to Amatitán, Jalisco in a month or so and I'm hoping no one has told abuelita what I’ve been doing to her tamale recipe! ;)

Ps, really dark foggy day here, sorry if pics are funky and here's a pic of my setup when clean:

6rw86hu.jpg

Thanks for reading/looking :)

Back