Labor Day Mexican pulled pork sauce ideas?

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
My wife and I are having friends and family over on Monday for a Labor Day bbq. I’ve been wanting to make the meat church Mexican style pulled pork so that what I’m doing, but with grande gringo as it isn’t full of salt. I was planning on offering an avocado lime slaw and maybe a chipotle aioli alongside, but started thinking about a Mexican bbq sauce of some sort. Of course, I don’t know of any such thing. Any suggestions for that? Planning on offering as tacos and tortas. Thanks!

This, or a pasilla pepper based sauce. I wouldn’t really consider them anything close to a “barbecue sauce” though, but you could probably incorporate the guajillo and ancho peppers in cochinita pibil or pasilla into a more tomato/vinegar prominent American barbecue sauce to merge the flavors.

I’ll also just throw it out there that these flavors could be completely “foreign” to a lot of people and may not be enjoyable.

Last edited:
+1 on a Mole if you want to go authentic. But authentic went out the window with smoking. A traditional Mexican pork Mole is braised.

It's not a sauce but, recently used some Kinder Mexican style rubs/seasonings and just added to pulled pork after pulled and they were both very good. Chili Verde, Carnitas and Carna Asada

Back