June Meeting

I hope it was a better and more productive meeting than how I am reading things on the quick notes.

It seems a couple of issues were just kinda swept to the side like the discussion on the "table of death" and continuing education. If i am reading the notes right I am very disappointed with a board member/ rep and what she feels a "reps job" is.

There was something else I dont understand completely why Chicago was said to cold for a Banquet but if I am not mistaken didnt Philly have a banquet?

Not trying to be grumpy and I appreciate what all the Board does and gives but I guess those 2 things kinda hit me wrong. Hopefully it will look better in the actual minutes and not quick notes.

There was something else I dont understand completely why Chicago was said to cold for a Banquet but if I am not mistaken didnt Philly have a banquet?

I love Chicago but I'm not sure I want to make that trip in January. Maybe Philly was a lesson learned sort of deal. Taking a week of vacation for someplace like Orlando in January has some appeal with everything there is to do there.

I'm sick of the thread that's been up there FOREVER!!!

Last night, there was a board meeting. It was a good meeting, IMO. In a couple of hours, I'll post the quick notes. Hope you'll be interested enough to read!

Thanks for taking good notes and producing a set of minutes that actually made a member feel like the board had a meeting that had some substance to it.:clap2:

The meetings should be put in locations around the country where the membership is. Believe it or not there are members that don't mind the cold.

Last edited:
The members around the country need regional representation to be implemented. That would help with moving the banquet around (north). It seems two surveys and strong support will still not sway the BoD to do what the members want as the quick notes indicated they are at a stalemate on this issue.

Yep, absolutely nothing to do in Chicago..... May the Force be with you...

I was thie idiot that tried to get discussion about Chicago. Ive been pushing since Mike Lake was President on what I need to do to get it off the ground. The crickets are deafening. The cold excuse is just more BS. Its freakin' cold in Philly, its cold in Denver, its cold every other year in KC. And let's get one thing perfectly clear. We have had the banquet twice in Nashville. Yes, it is cold there as well. If you do not believe that, ask the folks that were stranded there last year in Nashville. So enough of the cold BS. This is all about where the BOD wants to go for their trip to the annual meeting. Who cares if the Midwest dwarfs Florida in Membership and KCBS contests. Who cares if the facilities and airports are better and more convenient. Nope, can't even get it where I could submit a proposal to the BOD. It's too freakin'cold in Chicago.

For the record I had major support from the BBQ societies up here, membersbp, people in the business, friends, family and friends of friends willing to try and get it off the ground. The letter that I had drafted to the Mayor will be moot. Chicago is a World Class city thst is recognized around the World, but not by KCBS. Chicago is good enough for George Lucas and his Star Wars museum (even though he is from San Fransisco), but Chicago is not good enoigh for the KCBS and our BOD.

Scottie Johnson
KCBS Lifetime Member

Our rep at Desoto (Ralph Williams on 6/20) mentioned the fact that they are looking into adding the ability for a judge to go in an see their judging history and be able to compare that against judging statistics by region. I think that's a damn good idea. I would like generic judging statistics to be available to everyone.

Back