Jerk Chicken recipe?

Nuco59

Babbling Farker
Yesterday, I took my first run at Jerk Chicken- with the almost obligatory peas and rice. And it was definitely tasty- but I don't have anything to gauge if it was "right". Never made it- never ate it before- was on the hunt for something different to me.

Looked a ton of recipes on-line. Was not up for a store run- so if it was not in my pantry, I'd keep looking. Also passed on those that had 16 or more ingredients. I get that fresh is best... but I would have to make do with dried herbs (some probably past their prime) -and a good number of jalapenos - as that was the only peppers I normally keep on hand. Ended up with a hodge-podge list of ingredients from several different recipes... and it was better than ok- but was it "right"? (that probably should not bother me...but it did)

I want to make it again- but does anyone here have a good, solid, recipe that does not call for bottled sauces or a ton of ingredients that I would use for this dish only and would likely expire before depleted?

oh- Happy New Year!

Here is Nellie's recipe, even though she moved from the island 22 years ago

6T vegetable oil- ¼ C fresh lime juice- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped- 4 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, stemmed and seeded, coarsely chopped- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped- 2T fresh thyme- 1t minced peeled fresh ginger- 1T packed dark brown sugar- 2t allspice berries- 1t kosher salt- 1/4t ground black pepper- 2T white vinegar
Puree 4T oil and the next 10 ingredients until smooth
Take 1/4C and wisk in a small bowl with balance of oil and vinegar plus more salt to taste and refrigerate for glaze later

9Jo8sVp.jpg

I use this. I bought it a GFS. I mix it with oil and lime juice to make a paste then rub it all over the chicken. Tastes great.
144c245011816d7b43dbf685bae97034.jpeg

If I understand you correctly, no, you can't get jerk without a lot of ingredients or without buying bottled stuff. My goto jerk is using a combination of Malcom Reed's jerk seasoning with Walkerswood mild or Badia jerk season and Walkerswood.

I think the trick is getting it so the heat doesn't overwhelm the flavor. Also, cooking for a longer period of time a distance from the coals is best IMO. I use a WSM.

Thanks for all the replies... looks like some sort of prepackaged mix is the way to go...

I guess the reason for 16 plus ingredients on most recipes it because "that's what it takes".

That balance of spice to heat is what I'm sort of concerned with. I don't mind spice or heat but I have family members who would consider ginger "too hot" - pray for me.

Off to do some searches.

This is the recipe that I use.
It's as close to what I remember the jerk in Jamaica tasting like.

2 cups chopped scallions
2 Scotch bonnet chilies
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
5 tsp ground allspice
3 tsp English style dry mustard
2 bay leaves, center rib removed and crumbled
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
1 tsp cinnamon

Puree all in a blender or food processor.
Marinade up to 5 pounds of chicken for at least 24 hours, up to 48 hours.

The marinade will be a thick paste. Turn the chicken several times to coat all the pieces.
I grill indirect using briquettes and several chunks of wood. Mesquite works well, you want a strong wood flavor.
Once the chicken is to temp, I give a final bit of char right over the coals, just enough to get a little crisp around the edges.

I have used the Walkerswood products as well.
They are the best pre-made marinades that I have found.
Not as good as this recipe, though, IMO.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Here is Nellie's recipe, even though she moved from the island 22 years ago

6T vegetable oil- ¼ C fresh lime juice- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped- 4 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, stemmed and seeded, coarsely chopped- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped- 2T fresh thyme- 1t minced peeled fresh ginger- 1T packed dark brown sugar- 2t allspice berries- 1t kosher salt- 1/4t ground black pepper- 2T white vinegar
Puree 4T oil and the next 10 ingredients until smooth
Take 1/4C and wisk in a small bowl with balance of oil and vinegar plus more salt to taste and refrigerate for glaze later

9Jo8sVp.jpg

What are the units of measure?

I see capital “T” and lowercase “t”. T = tablespoon while t = teaspoon??

I use Emeril's recipe

I use this jerk marinade from Emerl L.
Yes, the *BAM* guy....

But I've had amazing results and lots of compliments on this from friends....I did a bunch of this before some Mardi Gras parades a number of years back and I cooked a lot of it...grilled and it was gone quick.

https://www.emerils.com/122829/jamaican-jerked-chicken

I usually use Serrano chiles...a bit less heat than scotch bonnets, but great flavor and easier to fix up for a crowd that might have mixed spice pallets.

But I'd highly recommend this...easy to make.

I plan to do this and smoke some spatchcocked chickens marinated with this....

HTH,

cayenne

Back