Is this another reason to wrap in butcher paper?

If you are like me (you probably aren't), then you actually enjoy reading the original research. So for those few who are interested in the science that originated this article here is the link to it in the International Journal of Electrochemical Science:

http://www.electrochemsci.org/papers/vol7/7054498.pdf

Quick and dirty after reading confirms what other research already shows....high heat acidic environment leaches the most aluminum. So for me its a beer braised low and slow cook once wrapped :wink:. I certainly wouldn't cook in it too often though as there IS an upper limit on how much one can excrete....and this can be diminished in some less than healthy individuals.

Last edited:
Being a chemist, I had to go read what was written and read her publication. One publication, an obscure scientific journal among many other things.

Now the methodology seems to be ok; however, based on the pH (measure of acidity) of the solution or vapor she used, I don't think she is working in realistic conditions. A solution pH of 2.8 seems pretty low....too acidic to consume. Also she adds so much citric acid 10 or 20 g, weigh more than you would be able to extract from a lemon or lime.

I don't know of many people who marinate their meat in such acidic pH and even if you add BBQ sauce or other ingredients, not sure it would bring it down that low. Can it be something of a real effect? Sure, it is possible however, one study is not enough to show it.

Also, a study she references on the effect of aluminum on brain activity is valid but what is the correlation to her article? She doesn't report how much aluminium that gets leeched gets absorbed. She doesn't show in simple cell models or in an animal (mouse model for example). We already know that it is very hard to absorb minerals that are not naturally in food meaning multivitamins containing minerals and vitamins are absorbed in little quantities compared to when the mineral or vitamin naturally occurs in the food.

So all in all, I personally would not be too worried about it for now unless some major research comes out saying the opposite. I quickly scoured the research online (nothing comprehensive) in food journals and a lot of articles seem to conclude "it can be stated that there is no evident risk to the health of consumer"...... That said, it is possible that excessive consumption of foods packed with aluminium foil may carry a health risk so always good to exercise good caution and common sense.

Cheers.

Aluminum is responsible for ozone layer depravation, melting ice caps, and Al Gores revenue stream. Evil Stuff. Trees are used to MFG Butcher Paper. Even Worse.

The best wrap is to layer several "CoExist" bumper stickers over each other and spray with the contents of any solution labeled as Holistic or homeopathic before wrapping. Works best with blocks of Tufu as animal products are evil.

Back to my Transcendental meditation session. Proceed gentlemen.

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

I'm pretty sure that whatever the risk is of wrapping in foil is less than the risk of eating the big hunk of red meat in the first place.

If worried about foil put meat in cooking bag then wrap with foil...

Many many years ago I remember reading an article in the local newspaper that was saying cooking on cast iron was a cause of cancer.

On the opposite page was an article saying that one of the causes of iron deficiency in American diets was due to people not cooking with cast iron anymore.

You be the judge.

i heard exposure to aluminum can lead to alzheimer's. and i heard that exposure to aluminum can lead to alzheimer's

Many many years ago I remember reading an article in the local newspaper that was saying cooking on cast iron was a cause of cancer.

On the opposite page was an article saying that one of the causes of iron deficiency in American diets was due to people not cooking with cast iron anymore.

You be the judge.

Oh there'll definitely be some "research" in 5 years talking about low-Al contributing to colon cancer or something. :wacko:

Remember when eggs were going to kill you so use "egg substitute" and butter caused heart disease, use margarine (plastic?)

Now? Eggs are a great source of protein and butter is very beneficial!

I do agree with Bob on the antiperspirants though...

"Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something — if it ain't one thing, it's another." :becky: RIP Gilda!

Back