Is Resturant Depot any good? Access?

What'd you find? The "Trimmed Triangles" are good, but they still need additional trimming. It's a five pack of Tri-Tip.

I saw a lot of 'chuck rolls' I think the label said 'neck off chuck roll' but I can't find the pic now.

I went there twice this week and they gave me a day pass both times. The person who did my day pass never heard of KCBS so I’m going to do day passes.

I agree that the prices are nothing to write home about but they do have items that you can’t get anywhere else locally. My wife bought a box of 8 Spumoni Bomba that are the same exact ones we get at a couple high end italian Resturants by us. and I bought a box of 24 frozen ready to cook Sfogliatella that the local Italian bakery sells with a major markup.

I don’t know any of the brands at Resturant Depot so I’m probably going to stick to what I’ve been using for my BBQs. Frozen spareribs are 1.69lb if you buy 25 lb or more. But I’ll stick to the $1.98 case price for Sam’s never been frozen spareribs because they have been good every time I used them in the past. Harry Soo also did a comparrison of the box store ribs and Sam’s came out on top.

I went there twice this week and they gave me a day pass both times. The person who did my day pass never heard of KCBS so I’m going to do day passes.

I agree that the prices are nothing to write home about but they do have items that you can’t get anywhere else locally. My wife bought a box of 8 Spumoni Bomba that are the same exact ones we get at a couple high end italian Resturants by us. and I bought a box of 24 frozen ready to cook Sfogliatella that the local Italian bakery sells with a major markup.

I don’t know any of the brands at Resturant Depot so I’m probably going to stick to what I’ve been using for my BBQs. Frozen spareribs are 1.69lb if you buy 25 lb or more. But I’ll stick to the $1.98 case price for Sam’s never been frozen spareribs because they have been good every time I used them in the past. Harry Soo also did a comparrison of the box store ribs and Sam’s came out on top.

Prices might not be better for you but pork butts and brisket is about half there than a grocery store around me

I saw a lot of 'chuck rolls' I think the label said 'neck off chuck roll' but I can't find the pic now.

Yep, those giant massive packages. Never did figure out what to do with them, so I always steer clear of them. But they also have hanger steak, flap meat, tri tip, outside skirt. Still need to trim some more, but that's the only store I can usually find them at.

Yep, those giant massive packages. Never did figure out what to do with them, so I always steer clear of them. But they also have hanger steak, flap meat, tri tip, outside skirt. Still need to trim some more, but that's the only store I can usually find them at.

Yep. I get my skirt steak there as well. Have a few in the freezer already! I'll have to look for tri tip, I hadn't noticed that yet.

The neck is the one that just confuses me. It's cheap and massive. There must be a use for them to have so much of it on hand!

I cut them into chuck roasts. Very little waste on them. Cut off some odd looking pieces from the outside, and start cutting roasts.

I cut them into chuck roasts. Very little waste on them. Cut off some odd looking pieces from the outside, and start cutting roasts.

Does it cook the same as a chuck roast? Can I smoke it and shred it? I asked a chef friend and while she wasn't super familiar with the cut, it appeared to hear it needed a braised/wet cook vs a smoked/dry cook.

It's a huge chuck roast. If you cooked to shred, you would have to chop. The meat fibers would be too long. Think of it as similar to a whole ribeye is to a ribeye steak. If you cooked one whole I would think you would slice thin slices, or chop it up.

Does it cook the same as a chuck roast? Can I smoke it and shred it? I asked a chef friend and while she wasn't super familiar with the cut, it appeared to hear it needed a braised/wet cook vs a smoked/dry cook.

I like this guy. Doesn't have alot of videos but explains things that I can understand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zijqahzhkM&t=350s
Here's another that's more roast centered. They both cut off the ragged ends and such to grind and make a nicer looking product. I just cut it up and don't worry how it looks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IgTzUIkobM

Last edited:
Lot of talk about the meats, but last night it struck me that RD is the only place I can get baking potatoes the size of a construction boot. I mean you can carve it out like those holland wooden shoes.
I guess I miss the potatoes (sweet and idaho), the flat irons and the party cut wings the most.

It's a huge chuck roast. If you cooked to shred, you would have to chop. The meat fibers would be too long. Think of it as similar to a whole ribeye is to a ribeye steak. If you cooked one whole I would think you would slice thin slices, or chop it up.

I actually prefer " Chopped Brisket sandwiches" using that cut. I know a few bbq joints that use that cut since its more cost effective.

I like this guy. Doesn't have alot of videos but explains things that I can understand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zijqahzhkM&t=350s
Here's another that's more roast centered. They both cut off the ragged ends and such to grind and make a nicer looking product. I just cut it up and don't worry how it looks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IgTzUIkobM

Thanks for the info! I'll have to pick one up. I don't mind cutting it down like that, and then smoking. But glad to confirm it's the same thing-as none of my searches seemed to say it was.

Suds, let me know if we need to make a field trip up there!

Back