THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUBBAGA

is One Chatty Farker
Due to unrelenting peer pressure from Simply Marvelous BBQ and Rad Fondo BBQ, I made the move to upgrade my cooking arsenal to include a reverse flow vertical cabinet smoker.

My needs would require occasional portability, along with the ability to load it into the back of a Honda Element. After considering a few different options, I decided on the Humphrey's Long Weekender.

The Long Weekender cook chamber is slightly larger than the Battle Box (+2"), but smaller than the Pint (-5"). It is also shorter than the Battle Box (-2") and the Pint (-8"). Most importantly, for mobility, is the weight. The Long Weekender is 212 lb, a whopping reduction from the 325 lb Battle Box and 350 lb Pint. With the reduced weight, there are obviously some differences in build construction, but the quality and Humphrey's workmanship is consistent.

March 17, 2018 was delivery day ... :becky:

Truck_2.jpg

The placement on the lift gate had me more than a little concerned

Truck_4.jpg

This unit is crated up very nice. Humphrey's don't let any detail go without giving it their attention (even if it's just the box).

Crate_1.jpg

Once removing the sides and back, the smoker is strapped down on the pallet, with 2 x 4 bracing the legs, so there is no movement during shipping.

Side_1.jpg

After removing the plastic and foam wrapping, I was greeted by this image of beauteousness.

On_pallet_Front.jpg

Another important factor in selecting the Long Weekender was the smooth sides and back, as I didn't want any ports or intakes sticking out.

On_pallet_Left.jpg

On_pallet_Right.jpg

On_pallet_Back.jpg

Top.jpg

Sadly, life dictated that I would have to put my toys away on Saturday. Therefore, the first cook would have to wait until the next day :confused:

I first removed all racks (the stock unit comes with 3 stainless steel bar racks, I also purchased 2 additional expanded metal racks), and gave the inside a thorough cleaning to remove any machining dust. Next, it was time to spray down the inside of the cook chamber, firebox, charcoal tray and expanded metal racks with 1 1/2 cans of Pam. Since the doors are stainless steel, I did not not spray them (or the gaskets).

Seasoning_1.jpg

Some recommendations online suggest to preheat the interior of the smoker by lighting the chimney inside... um, ok, I suppose if it's on the internet it has to be a good idea, right :pray:

Seasoning_2.jpg

The charcoal chimney was placed directly on top of a partially loaded charcoal tray. I added less than 1/2 a bag of briquettes to the tray (figured about 6 lb), and the chimney was 1/3 full. After the coals were ashed over, I dumped them in the back right corner of the tray, and let the fun begin.

This is possibly my favorite image from the weekend ... the first smoke coming from the stack

Seasoning_4.jpg

It was very easy to adjust the temperatures using the daisy wheel intake, and the exhaust damper. For seasoning, she settled in at 250° for a few hours.

Seasoning_7.jpg

Seasoning_6.jpg

Seasoning_8.jpg

Once any residual chemical smell had burned away, it was time for the inaugural cook. Since he's a mod, and not to be crossed, it was essential to provide a naked fatty sacrifice to Ron L.

First_Cook_Fatties_1.jpg

First_Cook_Fatties_3.jpg

The Long Weekender has 8 available cooking rack locations, and there was plenty of room to throw in some more stuff. How about pork belly burnt ends and a pan of chicken :thumb:

First_Cook_Fatties_2.jpg

First_Cook_Pork_Belly_1.jpg

First_Cook_Pork_Belly_2.jpg

First_Cook_Pork_Belly_3.jpg

First_Cook_Pork_Belly_4.jpg

First_Cook_Chicken_1.jpg

Although this was intended to be an initial seasoning cook, everything turned out perfect. The smoker easily adjusted temperatures up to 350°, recovered temps quickly, and was a joy to use.

First_Cook_Pork_Belly_5.jpg

Finished_Food_4.jpg

After 9 hours it was time to call it a day. This was left in the charcoal tray, from the initial 6 lb of briquettes.

Leftover_coal_after_9_hrs.jpg

On the next cook I want to try lighting the front corner of the charcoal tray instead of the back, as I found that as the fire worked it's way towards the front, it was more difficult to get a tight seal from the daisy wheel for shutting it down. I attribute this to the higher heat near the door, which changing the direction how the charcoal burns, should easily rectify.

appreciate the review and all the details. i think you put more pam in that cooker than i put in my shirley. :heh:

DUBBAGA, thanks for the review. That is one nice cooker and some nice PrOn. I especially like the weight reduction while still maintaining quality.

Congrats, I have had my eye on a long weekender for a while.

What do you give up going from a battle box to the Long Weekender?

It seems like a great value.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Congrats, I have had my eye on a long weekender for a while.

What do you give up going from a battle box to the Long Weekender?

It seems like a great value.

So far, these are my answers, in no particular order (likely more that I'm missing)

- Hinge style ... Long Weekender hinges are long and flat, therefore the doors open 90° only. The non-Weekender series models have different hinge design which will open beyond 90° for greater access

- Rail feet ... Long Weekender doesn't have the same interchangeable caster system. To place a Weekender/Long Weekender on wheels, Humphrey's have designed carts for that purpose

- Air intake ... Long Weekender uses the daisy wheel or optional performance plate (with a Guru, etc). Battle Box has a ball valve

- Frame construction ... I don't know the actual construction design for the Long Weekender, but it likely isn't the same tubular frame as used in their other models. This is possibly how the unit can come in so much lighter. Don't get me wrong, the Long Weekender is solid !!!

- Customization ... The Long Weekender is what it is. If you want different paint colors, valves, access points, sliding rails, etc etc etc, then the Weekender series might not be the best choice for you

So far, these are my answers, in no particular order (likely more that I'm missing)

- Hinge style ... Long Weekender hinges are long and flat, therefore the doors open 90° only. The non-Weekender series models have different hinge design which will open beyond 90° for greater access

- Rail feet ... Long Weekender doesn't have the same interchangeable caster system. To place a Weekender/Long Weekender on wheels, Humphrey's have designed carts for that purpose

- Air intake ... Long Weekender uses the daisy wheel or optional performance plate (with a Guru, etc). Battle Box has a ball valve

- Frame construction ... I don't know the actual construction design for the Long Weekender, but it likely isn't the same tubular frame as used in their other models. This is possibly how the unit can come in so much lighter. Don't get me wrong, the Long Weekender is solid !!!

- Customization ... The Long Weekender is what it is. If you want different paint colors, valves, access points, sliding rails, etc etc etc, then the Weekender series might not be the best choice for you
Thank you for that detailed feedback. Please post some future cooks. I'm very interested in getting one of these.

I Installed a Weekender over the woodbasket on my Lange 60 to add some versatility for Comps. I agree with everything the OP said, it's a solid cooker, holds full size pans, holds Temp. Really well. I could not be more pleased with it. And the customer service is amazing.
Think you can cook 4 racks of ribs in the
Standard weekender?

Think you can cook 4 racks of ribs in the
Standard weekender?

I can get 3 small racks of SLR or 3 racks of baby backs in my red box. They have to be laid at an angle and they barely fit. You can get at least 2 per rack in the weekender. A 3rd rack would help get even more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back