How did this happen - couldn't get temp up on a WSM

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Hi there

Done a heap of cooks on a 22" WSM over the last few years. Took the unit to a friends place a couple of weeks ago and did a back-to-back cook that kinda failed. I normally cook at about 300, water in, have to recharge the charcoal if over about 6-7 hours, as boiling water sure chews through the coal :razz:. By back-to-back I mean I did the beef short ribs first, wrapped them and did the pork ribs. My intended timeline was 7am-1pm for the beef, then 1pm-4pm for the pork (these at 325). With a serving time of 6-7pm, this would then give me 2-3 hours cushion.

Now, the problem was, I just couldn't get the WSM over 250... so, even though I had the charcoal on by 6:45am and well underway, by 8am at 240, I couldn't wait and had to put the beef ribs on (8 plates, enough to cover the two racks). They then stayed on until 3pm, when I had to take them off, they were wrapped until 7pm then. So the ripple effect continued and the pork wasn't on more than 3 hours (at 250), when I took them off and shoved them in a 400F oven to try and finish.

Well, the beef was the best ever and I had 70 people pretty convinced American BBQ was the world's best cuisine, but of course the pork was underdone - tasted beautiful, but well underdone, which was understandable given they simply didn't get enough time - no complaints about the state of the meat.

So, my question - why couldn't the WSM get over 250, when I NEVER have trouble getting over 300 and holding there for hours? Some thoughts...
1. Windy day (mildly), raining, humid atmosphere (we were under cover), and my usual cooking spot is very well protected. I did try and counter this by having the bottom vents open full all day.
2. Heavily loaded smoker, I rarely cook on both racks, in this case one cook of 8 beef rib plates flat on the two racks, the second cook of pork ribs had 10 racks, 5 to each rack on ribracks. These were big, heavy ribs though
3. All other things were normal (water was put in boiling, charcoal the usual brand)... maybe because people were watching and they put the mokkas on me!!!
4. My guess is that each thing contributed a little and the combination was enough - a bit of wind, a bit of a damp atmosphere, very full smoker.

Your thoughts?

My first question is how are you measuring your temperature?

I ask this because I don't think I have ever heard of anyone reaching 300F and over using water in a 22" WSM. There just isn't enough natural draft to get enough oxygen to keep such a hot fire going.

If you like to cook so hot, you might want to skip the water, that is a huge thermal mass that you are wasting heat energy on.

Id say the combo of Wind, Damp, and a full load of meat.

WSM's hate wind, charcoal hates damp, and meat is one heck of a heat sink.

Once cooked 12 racks of ribs on a 22"wsm+stacker. temps only read about 210, as they first ribs started finishing and coming off, my temps eventually climbed to about 325 at the end.

I'm guessing it's 70% meat load, 30% weather. And the water didn't help either of those things.

I stopped using water in cook #2 with my WSM. For the same reason, temp wouldnt' get up

Between a heavy load and possibly wet charcoal that could be a good reason why you couldn't get to 300 degrees with a water pan full of water.

Next time you have a big load of meat in the cooker, try cooking with no water in the pan (you can just foil over the opening of it to make clean up easier) and you will be able to cook at 300 no problem.

The huge load of meat and the full water pan no doubt in my mind killed your temps. Probably would have been better off starting your WSM with a bigger chimney of coals and an empty water pan to get a higher temp. I also like to run my WSM in the 275-300 range and I've found starting with a bigger chimney helps a lot.
What charcoal were you using?

Thanks one and all. Temp measurement is done with two probes, one a maverick, one a thermoworks, and they are always within ten degrees. Once the temp is over 300, even the dome thermo on the smoker begins to get close instead of reading 20-40 degrees low.

I like cooking with water, have done numerous without, they are ok, but best results come with water I feel. The downside is the way it chews through charcoal. Thinking about your answers, it seems that the WSM must be right at its limit to hold 300, with water. All it takes is a bit of wind, a very full load of meat and/or a very humid atmosphere, then it just can't manage. The upside is this is the first time I have ever done beef ribs at 250 for 7 hours, then wrap for 4 hours - awesome!

Thanks everyone.

As stated above factors for sure. I would ask how far above sea level you were. I've heard of that happening in the Rocky Mountians due to lower O2.

I prefer to cook with water too, so if I had this problem I'd start off with a half filled bowl of hot/boiling water then top it up with extra hot/boiled water as needed during the cook.

Back