Help w/ 1st charcoal kettle grill please?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hey folks,

I just re-homed my BGE. That left me w/ only my KBQ. It's awesome, but not a grill. I just purchased a used Weber 22" kettle. Doing some clean up today. I ordered a new Premium hinged grate and Charcoal Baskets. I want to use it for a July 4th cookout. Planning on cooking a bunch of wings (several dif flavors) and some raw sausages (again, several diff flavors).

I have a crew coming over and don't want to mess this up. I'm an absolute beginner w/ the Kettle grill. I'd greatly appreciate any help, suggestions and advice to help pull of 1st Kettle cook and shorten my learning curve.

I only have big chunk lump and wood chunks left over from my BGE. Do I need to buy some Briquettes?

I'm thinking I'll fill the two charcoal baskets w/ charcoal. Thinking fill half way w/ charcoal and a chunk of apple wood (one in each basket) and placing them together in the middle to create a hot smokey zone in the middle and cooler zone on the perimeter. Make sense?

The sausages: I have pork cheddar and garlic, chicken mango habanero (both raw), and may pick up some kielbasa (already cooked). At this point I'm planning on pre-brasing the sausages in beer, then onto the kettle for a little smoke and char. I'll slice diagnonally into two bite pieces w/ a couple barbecue sauces, ketchup and mustard on the side.

The wings: These are decent size (large not jumbo) separated wing pieces. I intended to do them like I do in the oven. 1/2 get tossed in baking soda, onion & garlic powder, and barbecue rub. The other half get tossed in the same, but instead of barbecue rub, I'll give them a good dusting of cayenne. I'll cook them indirect (around the perimeter) until the fat is well rendered. I'm thinking between 30 & 45 mins. Flipping a couple times. Then toss 1/2 in Buffalo Wing Sauce and 1/2 in barbecue sauce diluted w/ apple cider vinegar so it's not too goopy. Then back onto the grill to caramelize and give a touch of char. Probably much closer into the center hot zone. I'll serve w/ sauces on side (blue cheese, barbecue and hot sauce).

As sausages and wings get cooked, they get pulled from grill and put into 200 degree oven to keep warm.

After meats are done, I'm considering hot grilling (in middle to give some char while remaining crisp inside) some veggies, i.e. peppers, onions and mushrooms. I'll toss them in olive oil and some herbs first and cut into large (two - 3 bite) chunks.

How does this plan sound? Any tips, advice, additions or changes?

Thanks in advance!
JD

Last edited:
Having everything basically precooked and warming in the oven and then getting a finishing "char" is a great idea.

Thanks brother!

It's always nice to have as much as possible prepped before guests arrive.
That way the cook can relax and enjoy the event and guests as well.

Best regards!
JD

Congrats on your first kettle. Such a simple but easy, versatile, darn-near indestructible cooking machine!

Only thing I’d change is the ovens holding temp. 200° is to hot and continues to cook items. 170° is usually that lowest an oven will go and is plenty hot. I wish the lowest standard setting on ovens was 150°. First world problems ;-)

I'm sure you will love your Weber kettle.I have four 22 inch ones an 18 inch and a 14 inch smokey joe. There are so many accessories available for the 22 inch to help make it an outdoor cooking machine.
As far as cooking for a lot of company and keeping things warm, I use an electric turkey roaster for keeping food warm. They seem to turn up regularly at the thrift stores that I have trouble staying out of.

Might I suggest that you add a quick char over the hot spot at the very beginning of the cook, before the indirect heat phase.

This allows the char flavor to penetrate a bit during the cook and speeds up the rendering of the fat from the skin. Just be careful not to shrink the skin too much early on.

That way when you sauce later you can let the sauce set over high indirect heat without risking burning the sauce.

Your plan sounds great and I'm sure it will turn out awesome!

If you are unfamiliar with the kettle, maybe try a small test run a day before your guests arrive to get used to temperature control, amount of fuel needed and managing smoke etc.

I'm sure you will love your Weber kettle.I have four 22 inch ones an 18 inch and a 14 inch smokey joe. There are so many accessories available for the 22 inch to help make it an outdoor cooking machine.
As far as cooking for a lot of company and keeping things warm, I use an electric turkey roaster for keeping food warm. They seem to turn up regularly at the thrift stores that I have trouble staying out of.

Thanks Mike,

We have an electric turkey roaster. That's a really good idea to keep food warm outside. I'm actually torn on this one. First, we've got too much food to fit in our turkey roaster. Second, seeing that it's going to be a scorcher, it will be easier to keep cold cool and hot warm inside.

The problem is, we want people to stay outside. Too many people coming to be inside. Our house is too small to fit this crowd comfortably. On top of that, COVID has been circulating among our friends. Short of asking for negative test, we're asking people to stay outside.

I will initially serve food outside in one to two shifts. After that I'll put inside in oven & fridge. If people want more I'll pull out briefly for one more round.

I followed weber instructions and cleaned it up. I used a razor scraper, steel wool, Weber interior and exterior cleaner and my hose. It looks brand new.

As far as accessories, I've already purchased a new Weber grill grate w/ hinges, Weber fuel baskets, a new cover. Today I'm due to recieve a second True Tell thermometer to install on posit side of top vent just above grill grate level and a hinge to lid.

Thanks!
JD

Might I suggest that you add a quick char over the hot spot at the very beginning of the cook, before the indirect heat phase.

This allows the char flavor to penetrate a bit during the cook and speeds up the rendering of the fat from the skin. Just be careful not to shrink the skin too much early on.

That way when you sauce later you can let the sauce set over high indirect heat without risking burning the sauce.

Your plan sounds great and I'm sure it will turn out awesome!

If you are unfamiliar with the kettle, maybe try a small test run a day before your guests arrive to get used to temperature control, amount of fuel needed and managing smoke etc.

Good ideas here:
Test burn, don't know if I have time, but I'll give it a shot. You mentioned fuel volume as heat management. Glad you said that. I'll keep a bag of unlit lump, along w/ a chimney of lit lump at the ready if temps dip.
Pre-char... I will get some char on the wings before I sauce. That way, as you said, I'd limit the risk of burning the sauce.
Thanks everyone!
JD

Try to remember that the best way to control temps is by adjusting your vents to add or restrict airflow. Fuel volume factors in too, but with practice we can do most of our cooks with a single load of fuel.

Good idea to have a chimney full of lump ready to go at a moments notice though.

It sounds like you have your bases covered.

Have fun!

You're going to love the kettle.

Last edited:
Try to remember that the best way to control temps is by adjusting your vents to add or restrict airflow. Fuel volume factors in too, but with practice we can do most of our cooks with a single load of fuel.

Good idea to have a chimney full of lump ready to go at a moments notice though.

It sounds like you have your bases covered.

Have fun!

You're going to love the kettle.

Thanks brother,

Yes I'm used to restricting air flow from my egg. I also learned that a hot fire w/ lots of air flow produces cleaner smoke, so I've learned to lean towards a smaller fire (i.e. less fuel), and more air flow. This may be different if using only charcoal and no wood. May also be different on Weber than egg.

JD

Sounds like a great feast and plan to me except use baking powder on the wings, not soda.

Interesting.
I mix those two up frequently.
Recipes on the interwebs, some suggest powder, some soda, but most suggest soda over powder.
Now I'm confused.
JD

Sounds like a great feast and plan to me except use baking powder on the wings, not soda.

Yes, baking soda, per Bon Appetite.

"Just Add Baking Soda. It's probably an ingredient you've never thought to rub on meat, but baking soda is the key to baked chicken wings with real crunch."

Ed

Yes, baking soda, per Bon Appetite.

"Just Add Baking Soda. It's probably an ingredient you've never thought to rub on meat, but baking soda is the key to baked chicken wings with real crunch."

Ed

Thanks Ed,
Yes I saw that Bon Appetite. Malcum Reed of Killer Hogs from BBQ done right grilled them tossed in corn starch and said he liked how crunch they were. He said they tasted like a "grilled fried chicken wing". I wonder if a light toss in a combo of soda & starch would work?
JD

Back