Hello from NC

drsefu

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Seth
I joined a few weeks or so ago and just hadn't made it to making an intro post and have just been browsing. Finally decided it was about time!

I've been doing BBQ for about 17ish years which started when I got a Big Green Egg. That has been my only grill and smoker (minus my little Weber tailgating charcoal grill) for that whole time until a few weeks ago. My new rig is a M Grills M1 which I have been crazy about so far.

You might think I have long been a BBQ and grilling master since I have been doing it so long, but it has really only been the past 3 or 4 years or so that I have really buckled down to learning what I am doing. Before I was mostly winging it on small amounts of info from the internet and my supreme confidence that I could figure everything out on my own. Well I have turned out some pretty good food over the years (especially fish which is one of my specialties) but my BBQ in particular still left a lot to be desired. In the past 2 years I somehow got started on a rabbit hole of BBQ and meat science and techniques and have learned so many things, especially things I was doing wrong :doh: . I have watched probably every video from Harry Soo and Mad Scientist BBQ as well as many others, and have read a lot of information. My food has improved greatly, but I still have more to learn and need more experience doing things the right way. I have only had the opportunity to do a few briskets, and none that were whole because whole ones are non-existent in my area for some reason. Probably going to order one online next time I am ready to cook so I can also get a good grade of one as well.

As I said before my new rig is an M1 by M Grills and I am super happy with it. I haven't forgotten about my BGE and there are definitely some things it can probably do better (I'm thinking baking maybe, though I haven't baked anything on the M1 yet). While moving it the 17 year old weathered stand collapsed right when I got it into the new location and my egg flopped over onto my deck. Thankfully nothing broke that wasn't already broken, though the hinge and shelves came off and charcoal got everywhere lol. I needed to take it apart to replace the base anyways, and also move it out back, so I wasn't upset. I have done several cooks on the M1 and everything has turned out great. My last cook was a whole chicken, spatchcocked, and I did my first stick burn. I am really excited about being able to do stick burning so can't wait to try more. The M1 is super efficient at stick burning too.

Anyways, hope to talk and learn more as well as sharing my cooking experiences!

Welcome, Seth!

I'm a Tar Heel ex-pat in Texas with relatives in Burke County!

Back