mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
I am half considering selling my aging Weber Genesis and replacing it with a moderately priced pellet grill. I have a Weber Summit Kamado and an OK Joe Bronco for smoking. I love grilling on the Summit Kamado as well. This would be primarily used for grilling and not smoking for those weeknight dinners where you don't have time to mess with charcoal.

The Recteq RT-590 shows a max temp of 700 degrees. Why couldn't I do everything I do in my gasser on something like that? Add some grill grates to finish off a reverse sear steak on?

https://www.recteq.com/products/rt-590-wood-pellet-grill

The new CampChef Woodwind Pro has a max temp of 500 degrees. Could you sear a steak at that temperature on some Grill Grates?

https://www.bbqguys.com/camp-chef/woodwind-pro-wifi-24-inch-pellet-grill-pg24wwsb

Does anybody use their pellet grills as a grill and not a smoker?

Thanks,

Matt

I am half considering selling my aging Weber Genesis and replacing it with a moderately priced pellet grill. I have a Weber Summit Kamado and an OK Joe Bronco for smoking. I love grilling on the Summit Kamado as well. This would be primarily used for grilling and not smoking for those weeknight dinners where you don't have time to mess with charcoal.

The Recteq RT-590 shows a max temp of 700 degrees. Why couldn't I do everything I do in my gasser on something like that? Add some grill grates to finish off a reverse sear steak on?

https://www.recteq.com/products/rt-590-wood-pellet-grill

The new CampChef Woodwind Pro has a max temp of 500 degrees. Could you sear a steak at that temperature on some Grill Grates?

https://www.bbqguys.com/camp-chef/woodwind-pro-wifi-24-inch-pellet-grill-pg24wwsb

Does anybody use their pellet grills as a grill and not a smoker?

Thanks,

Matt

I have a MAK. It only gets up to 450* or so. I use it to grill as much as I use it to smoke. I have not used my grill in the 2+ years since I got the MAK. Steaks sear just fine.

I have the Recteq Bullseye that replaced my gasser. I use that thing all the freaking time. In fact I just ordered their Deluxe version but I doubt it beats my love for the original. It's the perfect pellet smoker in its price range.

I use my Pit Boss at least 3 nights a week for grilling. It can reach 500F and has a sear zone but I have yet to open it. The porcelain coated grates get plenty hot to leave char marks on steaks, burgers, and chicken.

Haven’t had a gas grill in probably 8 years. Have had plenty of charcoal grills during that time… and currently have a 26” kettle that I love to grill on. That said, I use my MAK way more than my kettle… and have missed having a gasser not one iota.

I do think it matters on which pellet grill you go with as some are much more capable at grilling than others. Pellet grills are just so versatile. Never in a million years did I think I’d enjoy pellet cooking as much as I do. To each their own :)

MAK and Weber are leaps and bounds above anything else I’ve had or seen for grilling. Even 600-700 degrees on many is still indirect unless there’s some way they have exposed the fire through the drip tray. Those that don’t won’t be anything like grilling on your Genesis or Kamado. Those that do, will likely be OK, but they often have a small area that works well. That said, I do a lot of indirect grilling of burgers, chicken, brats, chops, etc. on the pellet grills I’ve had. Throwing down a good crusty sear on a steak is where most fall short. A cast iron pan or GrillGrate searing station can improve that somewhat though.

I had the rec Tec 590 and it rarely got over 450. For searing get the bullseye

New recteqs can hit 700* due to upgrades they made. I hit 783* with mine, but I don't cook at that temp. A reverse sear steak is great on a pellet grill with grill grates. I cook on the lowest setting for max smoke until I.T. is ready for searing, (take the steaks off for a few minutes) and crank it to 500 to get the grates hot for reverse searing. It takes way longer than an exposed flame, as long as you plan for the extra cook time it's all good.

I've grilled a good bit on my smokefire. I have the searing grate and have done steaks, pork chops, and pichanna on it. It gets to at least 600 degrees in nothing flat and has done very well. I love it.

Jason

I personally would never buy a pellet grill with the intention of using primarily for high heat searing, doesn’t make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

New recteqs can hit 700* due to upgrades they made. I hit 783* with mine, but I don't cook at that temp. A reverse sear steak is great on a pellet grill with grill grates. I cook on the lowest setting for max smoke until I.T. is ready for searing, (take the steaks off for a few minutes) and crank it to 500 to get the grates hot for reverse searing. It takes way longer than an exposed flame, as long as you plan for the extra cook time it's all good.

Was not aware of that. I did use mine for cooking fish at high temps. 450 degrees plus grill grates gets the job done

I was going to ask if there was an update to the 590. I read another thread and people were saying it wouldn't hit 500 but the new specs state a mas temp of 700.

What about the Weber Smokefire? Sounds like the early issues have been resolved and you get direct flame. I’m seriously considering this route when my MB 1050 rusts away.

Anything without direct flame access isn’t going to cut it for grilling. I had a yoder and used grill grates and it worked very good. I also had a memphis elite that got much hotter…had good results there too….neither are as good as charcoal for sear (steaks).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a 1st gen SmokeFire EX6. I made some really good food on it but like most everybody else had some issues with it and sent it back to Weber. I joined a SmokeFire Facebook group the other day to see if people are still having issues or if they got them fixed.

What about the Weber Smokefire? Sounds like the early issues have been resolved and you get direct flame. I’m seriously considering this route when my MB 1050 rusts away.

I just keep going back to the kettle for steaks. Even the cheapest Kettle will do batter than the best pellet grill IMHO.

Sold the gas grill when we moved to MT but it was only used for oysters for ~10 years.

Back