Gettin my SMOKE on.......(lots-O-pron)

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
So, this is my second ever big solo cook. I did something like this last year as well. My kids' school has a fundraising auction every spring and the last 2 years I've donated myself as "BBQ Cook For a Day". This year I think it went for around $300. The deal is they buy (or pay for) the groceries and all supplies and I supply the know-how and time to cook up whatever they want.

This year, I got "bought" by a 3-family group for a 3-way graduation party for 200 people. know 2 of the families, so that made it easy. They wanted pulled pork and chicken. 70% pp and 30% chicken. After a lot of discussions, my recommendations (and a taste test a few weeks ago) they allowed me to purchase some Brethren sauces and rubs for the cook!!!!:thumb:

So here's what I've got to work with........

THE MEAT:
20 bone-in pork butts purchased at Restaurant Depot 2 days ago.....
IMG_2488.jpg

15 chickens, quartered at my local friendly neighborhood meat market. They got a delivery just this morning and quartered these for me TODAY! 30 white meat and 30 dark meat quarters.....
IMG_2490.jpg

THE WEAPON:
Brother Indianagriller of JT's BBQ and Smoke Break Competition BBQ Team was SO gracious to let me borrow his Ole' Hickory pit for this cook. Drove down to Columbus last night to pick it up. It's got a thermostatically controlled fan setting, propane assist start and will be loaded with lump charcoal and cherry and oak chunk for the cook. Thanks again JT!!!!! This thing will hold up to 24 butts at a time and is gonn make this SOOOOO much easier to do. I may actually sleep tonight!!!!:rolleyes:
IMG_2489.jpg

THE FUEL:
JT said the pit likes lump and so......
IMG_2491.jpg

THE RUB:
What can I say......it's Simply Marvelous!!!! This is my rub of choice. 15 lbs of Cherry for the butts and 5 lbs of Pecan for the chicken.....
IMG_2494.jpg

THE SAUCE:
I gave the customers a sample of pulled pork with 4 sauces a couple of weeks ago. They picked these 3. The only one I gave them they DIDN'T pick was the BH Tennesee Red. There was a 3-way tie between these 3:
IMG_2492.jpg

THE PLAN:
Gonna put the butts on the smoke at 10pm tonight. It's a convection cooker so the plan is that they'll be done by 8 am. If I get up (early) and they're not where I need them, I'll crank the heat, wrap em and it'll happen......it's GOT to.... If needed, they can come off as late as 10.

Tomorrow morning I'll load up the cooker and take it to the party location. I'll rub the chicken and put it on at about 12:00. I'm planning on them taking about an hour+. I'll pull the pork while the chicken cooks.

Sauce will be served in squirt bottles on the side. The party officially starts at 1:00 and food will be served shortly after.

Oh yeah......

THE BEVERAGE:
IMG_2495.jpg

What can I say......I LOVE a good beverage.....:rolleyes:

Wish me luck y'all!!!! Here goes nothin!!!!!

Good luck, sounds like lots of fun! Great choices on rub and sauces, and that frosty beer looks good too! You clearly have excellent taste! :thumb::thumb:

Go man go!! Best of luck!

I did one of three big cooks I'll do this year last weekend; had a great time and looks like I may have a few cooks for $$$ coming up later this year as a result.

Wampus, that looks like a nice party getting ready to roll :)

Go easy on the beverage until the cooking is done :)

Thanks all!!!

So the butts are on!!!

Here's some more pics:

RUBBED:
IMG_2496.jpg

LOADED:
IMG_2498.jpg
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/wampusbbq/Kopetsky Cook/IMG_2498.jpg

And ROLLIN:
IMG_2497.jpg

The smoker holds 6 butts on one rack. The TOP rack gets most of the heat as the charcoal is in the bottom-back of the smoker and the heat rolls up the back of the smoker and comes across the top. I loaded the bottom 3 racks up full and put the last 2 largest butts on the top rack in the front, hoping not to scorch em.

JT told me that he usually ends up swapping the bottom and top racks so I'm anticipating having to move things around a bit in a few hours.

More to come!!!:thumb:

Go easy on the beverage until the cooking is done :)

No worries JM......all in moderation. After I got the smoker loaded and got all cleaned up, I just poured my 2nd. I'm planning on sleeping light tonight!

Looking forward to more pics! How you liking that Big Butz sauce? I've never tried it.

I likey!!! Of the 4 I bought to try, I have to say my 2 favorites (probably in this order) were BH original and BB Cranberry. I also got a pint of the Bigbutz HOT, but I haven't cracked it open yet. I really like a little heat, but noone else here does. That cranberry bigbutz?........:hungry:

It's doin great so far! Rock solid right where I want it!

Oh, don't you worry about it, I'm planning on having it shined up good when I bring it back!:becky:

Gotta farkin thunderstorm coming up from the south right now.......I'm sure that thing's pretty much set to go, eh? I know it's heavy! Well insulated too, so I'm not worried much about the rain or the wind....:roll:

FAAAAAAARK!!!!!!

Well, I may have just screwed the pooch.:tsk:

I ended up going to bed at 1 am. Everything was everything and was rolling. At about midnight I topped off the charcoal in the firebox and ASSUMED (stupidly) that would last me for at least 4 hours. Woke up out of the blue at 4:30 (I think God must've shaken me) and fidured I'd go down to check everything.

Well, the cooker temp was at 140 and the farking charcoal basket was all but farking EMPTY!!! There were a handful of coals still burning so it hadn't been completely out for TOO long. Meat temps were at 145 so I'm not all that concerned with things going nasty, but by the time I got a full chimney lit and the basket filled back up I figure I've lost hours of real cook time.

The original plan was for butts to be done around 8 or 9.....NOT GONNA HAPPEN NOW!!! The way I figure they haven't even really hit the stall yet. Who knows how long they'll take to finish......

It's now 6 here. Just started coffee.

Oh well......I'm not going to yank 'em until they're done. If I have to call and delay service time, I will. They won't be happy, but I'm not going to give them tough pork. We shall see what happens. I'm going to give them a bit on the smoke to get the bark right and then I'll foil them and bump up the cooker temp to maybe 300. 3 or 4 hours at that should speed things along. I may just end up cooking the chicken here and showing up at the party with all of it.

Farking sleep. "I wanna sleep", he says. Farkin know better than to ASSUME anything especially with an unfamiliar cooker. Dumbarse! What a SHMUCK!!!

gumble....grumble......grumble..........:tsk:

well, hope everthing goes ok, 4 hours seems kinda low for the burn time, but then again I almost always use mojobricks mixed in with the charcoal so the burn time is longer. Was the lump nice and packed into the basket?

Back