THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
So with Oakridge closing shop eventually I will need to find a new rub brand. It was all I used for years. So with that being said what is everyone’s go to rub for each meat type?

Hey, neighbor. Go to H.U.B. in Omaha. They will hook you up! Blues Hog Bold and Beefy, BH Sweet and Savory, and Heath Riles Beef are staples in my cupboard. You can sample a ton of seasonings at HUB.

Montreal steak rub is really good on Beef and Chicken

SPG and poultry seasoning is a great base flavor on chicken

My pork game needs some work. I've used Oakridge Dominator, Secret Weapon and Comp exclusively for years and honestly can't imagine ribs or pulled pork without at least one of those.

Anyone have any suggestions for something similar to those three for pork?

I found plowboys yardbird to be very good on chicken and even pork, but I usually mix it with something (usually an Oakridge product) as it's a bit salty for my taste.
After seeing raves here finally got some Yardbird to do wings. The first batch was great. Over seasoned the second wing batch. Way too salty.

I'm salt fussy. Would be nice if all rubs/seasonings came salt-free allowing you to add your own.

After seeing raves here finally got some Yardbird to do wings. The first batch was great. Over seasoned the second wing batch. Way too salty.

I'm salt fussy. Would be nice if all rubs/seasonings came salt-free allowing you to add your own.

I tend to be sensitive to salt as well. This is part of what made Oakridge so great, they didn't use a ton of salt in a lot of their rubs.

I've probably used Dizzy Pig rubs for the longest as Chris, WooDoggies and I hung out on the original BGE forum back in the day. Dizzy Dust and Raging River are two of my favorites, but the selection is large with unique spices and flavors in some blends.

I was in the Beta tester group when Todd was developing Yardbird, so that is in my arsenal too. Now, it's so popular even my Ace Hardware store carries it. After winning the American Royal one year he added the logo " "Created for chicken, but made for pork" and it truly is great on both.

And of course.... Smokin' Guns Hot, Cimarron Doc's and Birds and Bones are longtime favorites too.

8JRUcyb.jpg

For brisket, I most often use just SPOG in 2:2:1:1 by weight, but I do also like Oakridge BBQ Black Ops and SPOGOS quite a bit. Also used EAT Barbecue Most Powerful Stuff quite a bit when I was doing more competition style briskets years back.

Ribs - Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon and or Dominator, with maybe a dusting of Habanero Death Dust on the back side.

Pork butts - Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon or Competition Beef and Pork

Non-barbecue type cooking....Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chile Lime on a variety of things such as shrimp or fish. I also really like Albukirky Green Chile seasoning on chicken, it's probably my most used seasoning when cooking chicken quarters and whole chickens (thanks to Pig_Farmer for hooking me up with those). A lot of times I'll just dry brine with kosher salt and pepper and cook chicken that way as well.

Obviously, I'll have some gaps to fill in once my Oakridge BBQ supply runs out :sad: I'll probably start trying to come up with some of my own seasoning blends, which I never bothered spending the effort on, because I had some off the shelf options I really liked. It can get expensive to season a large cook like 4-8 briskets and 8-12 butts. I used an entire pound of Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon to season 8 butts a few weeks back.

I've probably used Dizzy Pig rubs for the longest as Chris, WooDoggies and I hung out on the original BGE forum back in the day. Dizzy Dust and Raging River are two of my favorites, but the selection is large with unique spices and flavors in some blends.

I was in the Beta tester group when Todd was developing Yardbird, so that is in my arsenal too. Now, it's so popular even my Ace Hardware store carries it. After winning the American Royal one year he added the logo " "Created for chicken, but made for pork" and it truly is great on both.

And of course.... Smokin' Guns Hot, Cimarron Doc's and Birds and Bones are longtime favorites too.

8JRUcyb.jpg

This is a GREAT rotation! I keep all of these as well. Can I suggest Blues Hog Rasberry Chipoltle as well? Your collection will be complete!

Can't say i will miss Oak...whatever its called....

20221120-001427.jpg

You see Yardbird? Thats paprika. You see Bovine bold? No red. No Taco seasoning. That's why i swear by Bovine bold and not that Oak OP crap.

Once I run out of Oakridge I will likely go back to Kosmo. Thats what I used before going to Oakridge. Also as Sudsandswine said I'll probably try my hand at making my own. Try to use the Oakridge ingredients list as a target. I know it'll never be matched but it will be fun to try in any event.
Likely give Meat Church a whirl too.

I'm a big fan of SuckleBusters.
The OG SPG on everything from fried/scrambled eggs to baked potatoes!! (Replaced my salt and pepper shakers!)
1836 for anything Beef
Clucker Dust on birds
Honey BBQ and or Texas Pecan on Pork or Chicken
Sugar Daddy for a nice sweet finishing hit
:mrgreen:

I've been using Salt Lick original and Salt Lick Garlic for pretty much everything the last year or so. I've been doing keto for the last 6 months so I've had to seriously change the rubs I was using (Harry Soo, Myron, Tuffy, Melissa Cookston, etc). All of these rubs were so heavy in sugar that it just wasn't meshing with my current eating plan.

Over the years I've made my own rubs and have had some success. I took the recipe Melissa Cookston gives in her book for her "Mother Rub" and made some alterations. When I was running my BBQ food truck that's the rub I used on pork and people loved it. Problem is that it's such a chore and as the pandemic got longer and longer it was much harder to get the spices / herbs I needed. Turns out people absolutely love plain old salt and pepper...who would have thought. haha

I like dizzy pig honey hog on ribs and butts. Ordered a big supply of black ops for brisket though. Not sure what to replace that with. Anybody tried Lane’s rubs?

Sugar Daddy for a nice sweet finishing hit

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for. My wife and kids love a sweet finish, and I’ve been using Meat Church Honey Hog, but it’s too salty. I ordered this and some other SuckleBuster rubs too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back