Costillas de Res

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
Picked up a couple pounds of Costillas de Res at one of my favorite carnecerias.
Seasoned with salt, pepper & granulated garlic.

PICT4352_zpsavz88whi.jpg

Fried some black beans & moved them to the cool side.

PICT4359_zpslbfpfgur.jpg

Grilled the costillas on a medium/high heat fire (K Lump & chunks of mesquite) for 4 - 5 minutes per side to medium-well.

PICT4363_zpsimnt7g2i.jpg

Served with salsa tatemada, pickled carrots, the beans, raddish, diced tomato, avocado & it was Time to Eat!!!

PICT4379_zpsot8xrsev.jpg

¡Delicioso!

Thank you.

I got the recipe here: https://translate.google.com/transl...s-mexicanas.com.mx/salsa-tatemada&prev=search

You have to scratch your head a bit to figure out what they are saying.

Great flavor. Sneaks up on you. I might try it next time with jalapenos.

Salsa Tatemada

Ingredients:
5 Red Tomatoes
6 Chiles serrano
6 Dried tree chilies
1/2 White Onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 Branches of coriander
Salt to taste

How do you prepare?

The first thing we will do is tatemar tomares, chiles, onion and garlic, this is to put all these ingredients in the flame of the stove until they are roasted on all sides.
Since all the ingredients are tatemados the will liquefy with a little salt to taste, this is our tatemada sauce mixture we recommend to accompany all kinds of dishes.

Are you kidding me, now anything I eat today will pale in comparison to that amazing looking plate.

Robert there is a Brethern Inspired TD going on until the 20th this definitively belongs.

Thank you.

I got the recipe here: https://translate.google.com/transl...s-mexicanas.com.mx/salsa-tatemada&prev=search

You have to scratch your head a bit to figure out what they are saying.

Great flavor. Sneaks up on you. I might try it next time with jalapenos.

Salsa Tatemada

Ingredients:
5 Red Tomatoes
6 Chiles serrano
6 Dried tree chilies
1/2 White Onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 Branches of coriander
Salt to taste

How do you prepare?

The first thing we will do is tatemar tomares, chiles, onion and garlic, this is to put all these ingredients in the flame of the stove until they are roasted on all sides.
Since all the ingredients are tatemados the will liquefy with a little salt to taste, this is our tatemada sauce mixture we recommend to accompany all kinds of dishes.

Robert, that is a serious plate of goodness, especially the salsa. But what the heck is a tree chile? :confused:

Yep, I did a double take as well. Looking at the untranslated page, it's dried chile de arbols. I guess Google doesn't know everything after all.

Have to agree. Google doesn't know everything. Tatemada translates as tanned. So... after looking at the other recipes & the translations... I figure tatemada = roasted (more or less?). Makes sense to me. Kinda.
Anyway... it's a good salsa. Might need to tweek it a bit.

Last edited:
That salsa looks delicious. The meat looks like Flanken cut beef ribs...

Thank you! The salsa is very good, imho.

The Flanken cut beef ribs at the local "main brand" supermarket are about 3/8" thick bones and cost almost twice as much. They are sold as choice.

These were around 1" thick bones. Not sure what grade of beef. Probably should ask... however, I have never bought bad meat there. Best place in town to get pork belly.

You pays you money & you takes you chance.

Bill,

Just to clarify - unless Robert's dish is modeled after a previous TD winner, it doesn't really fit. I just want to make sure everyone understands the scope of the Brethren Inspired Throwdown:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242279

:thumb:

Sorry... I mistook inspired as literal "inspired" not as "to exactly copy". I had thought about Tony Bells happy meal TD winner... Sorry Robert

I'd love to "throwdown" some of that amazing grub!

Plate looks awesome.

Appreciate the salsa recipe!

Back