THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Craig
I am doing something different today. I am smoking malt to make a smoked beer. All beer used to have a smoked flavor. When grain was malted in a oven it was done in a direct fired oven, think of a pizza oven. The malt came in contact with the smoke from the wood. So all beers would be smoky. Then in the 1800s the indirect malt oven was invented and non smoky beers were all the rage. There are still some smoked beers out there. Rauchbier comes from Germany and craft brewers here in the US are playing with smoked porters. So, I am merging two beloved hobbies today.

How is this done? Beer is composed of base grain and specialty grain. Often the base grain can be 90% or more of the total amount of grain. Specialty grain has intense flavors. You only smoke the base grain because of this. It is one of the most common in the US, 2 row. It is laid out on window screens about .5 inch deep. It is then sprayed with non chlorinated water on the top and bottom, this helps the smoke stick. It is very important that the grain be cold smoked, I am using a Amazen smoker with a cherry, maple, oak blend. If it were hot smoked, above 120, then the grains would roast and pick up other flavors very quickly. They would turn to the look and taste of coffee grounds before they would pick up the smoke. It takes 4 to 5 hours like this to produce the smoke flavor wanted. Then, seal in plastic until it is time to make "bacon" beer. I will replace 60% of my base grain with this smoked grain.

I don't know how to get the image to rotate here. Sorry

Last edited:
I've used the pellet hops for my mak! Never thought of smoking the grain for my beer! Lovibond must be nice n dark! ! Can't wait to hear of the outcome!

I've used the pellet hops for my mak! Never thought of smoking the grain for my beer! Lovibond must be nice n dark! ! Can't wait to hear of the outcome!

What is interesting is that cold smoking does not increase the Lovibond, SRM. It is just the outside of the kernel that changes color.

And guess what, the beer goes amazing with smoked foods. You would think that the heavy smoke flavor of the beer and smoke of the BBQ would be too much, but the beer smoke flavor changes enough I should know in about 5 weeks, at least. Waiting for beer to finish makes waiting for pork shoulder or brisket seem like nothing!:thumb:

Here is an update. I made the smoked porter today, and sorry, I did not think of taking any pictures while I was mashing and boiling. But here is one in the fermenter. It is 10 gallons to be split between me and a friend. It smelled of hickory smoked bacon goodness, it was strong. But, it did not overpower the beer either. You can taste it and it is distinct, but not too strong. There is also a chocolate smell and taste that stands up to and compliments the smoke. Also, there is a subtle roast aroma and flavor too.

Now wait 2 weeks to ferment, 1 to cold condition, and 1 to carbonate. One month from today I will be able to try a glass and see how it came out.

The nice thing I can do with this fermenter, other than doing batches from 5 to 20 gallons, is I can keep the fermenting beer at whatever temperature I want to get the flavor profile I desire, regardless of the temp of my basement at the time.:thumb:

Back