THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LYU370

Resident Idjit
Staff member

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Andy
Well there's a Soup/Stew/Chili Throwdown going on, you should enter! You can win valuable prizes! So anyhow, I figured I'd look for a couple new chili recipes to try instead of my usual chili recipe which isn't conducive to using a grill/smoker to make.

Found a Texas chili recipe on Serious Eats that sounded pretty good. And after some more searching found Chili Colorado. No, it's not chili that originated in Colorado, it's originally from Mexico and basically means red chile sauce. Lot's of different recipes, but most are basically the same, which also happens to be basically the same as the sauce in the Serious Eats recipe. Also found a twist on the sauce recipe by Aaron Sanchez which includes some extra ingredients, that I just happened to have, so I used that as my base recipe. And I can grill a bunch of the ingredients on the Big Joe.

The players:

35637401515_57bc2e2302_o.jpg

Grab a bunch of chilies and into a frying pan to toast them up. I used some guajillo, New Mexico, California & ancho.

35506999561_178d8823b4_o.jpg

Remove the stems & seeds and add a couple three four cups of boiling water to reconstitute them. Let sit about 20-30 minutes.

35637400235_b76628f43a_o.jpg

Got the Joe going at about 425 with a couple chunks of Pecan and put the veggies on to get some flavor & color.

35637399655_103e9c3aeb_o.jpg

Grabbed the charred veggies, peppers, garlic and spices and into the blender for a whirl. Only used about a cup of the chicken stock, the water from the chiles was more than enough liquid.

35506996831_99e313f0af_o.jpg

Makes about 3 quarts. Now to make something to put in it. BTW, if you make the base Colorado sauce recipe, without the onion, tomatillo & tomatoes, it's quite low carb. Big chile flavor! If you like chili that tastes like tomatoes, this sauce isn't for you. Also tastes like it would be an awesome enchilada sauce.

More to come.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Enchiladas all the way. I love grilled tomatillos made into an enchilada sauce with chicken as the filling along with Mexican melting cheese on top. That looks wonderful.

Back