Chicken Shawarma and Mediterranean Flatbread

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I've been away from the forum for a number of weeks; haven't posted, haven't signed in. Nothing to do with the forum or the members, I simply needed a break from the internet (the forum got caught up in that break). I found I was spending far too many hours on the net reading news articles, watching YouTube, researching technology, etc. and I wasn't getting anything done during my day. I can't afford to waste hours of my day surfing the web is what it all boiled down to. It was affecting my life in a not so positive way. Things weren't getting done around the house, my hobbies were taking a backseat, etc. Anyway, that's all I'll say regarding my absence and for a first post back, what else is there but...

Chicken Shawarma and Mediterranean Flatbread

I poked through the freezer this morning, looking for something I haven't made in quite a while. Chicken thighs were calling me. And what better recipe to use for chicken thighs than Chicken Shawarma!

Marinating early this morning -

6djL0Xf.jpg

I decided that my usual Naan bread just had to go with tonite's dinner, but realized I didn't have plain yogurt. So I tried a Mediterranean Flatbread recipe for the first time, results were excellent.

The dough, after initial kneading -

ZH9At3g.jpg

After an hour of proofing in a warm location -

iTaTLWH.jpg

Forming into individual dough balls -

9sLCYgp.jpg

IxIpgaP.jpg

Six inch discs -

1uciJNl.jpg

Chicken's on the Goldens' -

Kj2ZRQJ.jpg

Flatbread's on the Blackstone -

SbjCmpn.jpg

2cCB8uG.jpg

Dinner is on the table -

hkcYEoq.jpg

dmiWYiI.jpg

HKvLmAL.jpg

CexUCvD.jpg

Can't wait to dig in -

fNrZ3J8.jpg

Rather than the usual Tzatziki, I made use of two different Ginger Sriracha sauces. Nothing about Shawarma around this house is traditional.

After dinner was done, the remainder of the Flatbreads were grilled. These should be great with breakfast tomorrow -

98xsRAc.jpg

That's it. A somewhat non-traditional Chicken Shawarma, but a very good dinner.

As always, thanks for checking out this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

Great looking feed :clap2:, we just decided on Flatbreads tonight and i open this.

Wow. I was just thinking about you wondering if everything was ok. Glad to see you again. As usual awesome cook. How’s the house coming along

Glad to see you return in such good fashion. I can understand about the internet, I hate that so many people are addicted to it, but I'm glad it's there for important reasons. Just like everything else, we all have to use moderation.
That is one tasty looking dish!

That does look good. But... I'm on a role of admitting my ignorance (recently exposed by Shadow) and in full disclosure, I've never had any medeterian food and can't spell Shawarma, let alone know what it tastes like.

May need to expand my boundaries, 'cause it does look good. Second admission - I'm afraid to work w/ dough...

There. I said it.

I'm in the same boat, trying to keep my mornings laptop sessions in tow and then dropping it and get going with life work.
It's very satisfying filling your head with important info, it just can get a bit much.
Ed

Thanks everyone.

I'd be remiss if I didn't include the recipes used. Of course, for the Shawarma, my tried and true recipe from Nagi on recipetineats.com. The only minor change I make is to add water to the marinade to thin it. I find doing so more easily coats the chicken.

As for the flatbread, it's one I printed a long time ago but have never used.

https://allourway.com/flatbread/

The dough was very easy to work with, the texture was perfectly soft and there was no difficulty when rolling these out due to spring back. Kevin, give this one a try if you want to venture into the world of dough. :mrgreen: The addition of olive oil and milk in this dough give it such a great texture. Definitely on my make again list.

-Dom

Looks great Dom. Yup we all need a reset at times. Good to know you are doing well and obviously making some excellent food. Thanks for posting the recipes. I really need to try my own shwarma

Man,,,that looks soooo gooood !!!!!
I have to give making flat bread a go,,,,
Looks outstanding,,,,,
We all appreciate your posts,,,,,
So I hope ur feeling a little guilty ,,,LOL

Back