Chicken Shawarma and Cauliflower Fried Rice

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
With the exception of thawing the chicken thighs, this is somewhat of a last minute plan for dinner today.

Chicken Shawarma and Cauliflower Fried Rice

Both of these are courtesy of Nagi from RecipeTin Eats. As you're aware I've made and posted the Shawarma many times. The Fried Rice is a recent addition since she posted the video a week or two ago.

Today, rather than the usual boneless, skinless thighs, these are bone in and skin on. In the marinade for an hour or so -

While the chicken is doing its thing, I riced a head of cauliflower using the food processor -

Some of the veggies for the Fried Rice: Diced Carrots, a Poblano Pepper and Red Bell Pepper -

The chicken thighs grilling indirect on the Golden's -

Out on the Blackstone, the Cauliflower Fried Rice is prepared. Along with the cut up veggies I added frozen corn and peas. The sauce for this consists of Mirin, Oyster Sauce, Soy Sauce and Sesame Oil -

Thighs are coming along -

The rice is starting to look like Fried Rice -

No time to make homemade Naan today, so store bought will do -

Dinner is served -

As usual, the Chicken Shawarma is always a winner. If you've not tried Cauliflower Fried Rice or Cauliflower Rice for tha matter, give it a try! I think it's faster to make than regular rice, although the ricing does take a few minutes. I've got a small food processor so this needs to be done in batches as the container quickly fills up.

As far as taste and texture, you'd be hard pressed to tell this from fried rice. Any time I buy a head of cauliflower, I now have an additional option when preparing it. One thing I forgot to add this time was the scrambled egg which is mixed in. Last time I made this I needed to use two CI skillets on the stove and I remembered the egg. But dealing with multiple skillets was a pain so tonite it was prepared on the Blackstone. Next time I'll remember all the ingredients!

As always, thanks for checking out this post!

Regards,
-lunchman

Dom,

You're killin' me, brother! That looks... ah-mazing! (just as my newly minted 4 yr old would say)

Dom,

That is a great meal!! I bookmarked this for my next keto try. Thanks for posting!

Thanks,
Greg

Gotcha about the heat - if the wife's away - I can play.. but otherwise - nope.
I will say that is a heck of a write- up - and picture essay. Forum users all over the globe should take notes. Very well written.
Thanks!

Thanks all. The Cauliflower Fried Rice is a keeper. My Fried Rice never seems to turn out as good as anything I get from a Chinese takeout, probably a result of not using day old rice. But this can be made the same day and so far has turned out quite well both times I've made it.

It's a plus that you can put in whatever veggies are on hand. Nagi's recipe also calls for diced ham and I had thoughts of adding something like Pancetta or crumbled bacon, but completely forgot (just like the egg). Pork, brisket, etc. would also go well.

-Dom

Hi What makes it Chicken Shawarma. I thought Shawarma was on done on a vertical spit?
DanB

Technically, you're correct. Shawarma and Gyros are normally cooked using a vertical rotisserie. But since most of us don't have one, the next best thing would be a Trompo King, although it too doesn't spin and as you can tell from my post, wasn't used here either.

The recipe I'm using for Chicken Shawarma is from a website and YouTube channel called RecipeTin Eats. The author and chef Nagi is based out of Australia. Her YouTube videos are excellent, only a few minutes long; the full recipes can be found on her website. I've made quite a few of her recipes, they always turn out great. Our Australian Brethren can attest to how good a cook Nagi is.

A few years ago one of the members here had made Shawarma, I tried the recipe, stumbled upon her YouTube channel and have posted my Shawarma cooks at least a half dozen times. Honestly, the flavors are that good and it never seems to get old. At least the Brethren haven't told me to stop posting my Shawarma cooks (yet). :mrgreen:

-Dom

Back