Char Siu in Progress For "Hit This". Get a Beveridge

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bill
Brethren....

Melbourne is finally but slowly coming out of this Winter's weather. Now I am very aware I do not have to put up with Snow and Ice, but I've had three failed Summers and miserable as F weather. SO with COVID lockdowns for 2.5 years and this put together I am not just a little resentful.

Apologies for the mini rant...

A Brother of this site posted a thread about Chinese Cuisine and the associated YouTube Channel Made With Lau.

It's a good channel for demystifying some aspects of Cantonese Food. Some of you may know I have strong Asian connections with food. My kids are Eurasian. I spent 4 years living in Hong Kong and at University I worked as a cook in a Cantonese restaurant for the entire time. I learnt a lot.

So to the Char Siu. I've done this a few times on the site and have my own approach but I thought I'd give this recipe from Made With Lau a crack. It joined a few dots for me.

Now if you want to do this easier, just buy this stuff:

P-20230929-105520.jpg

TBH, the Char Siu we made in the restaurant I worked in 30 years ago used the green bottle and an oven. Results are pretty good. Give that a go. Marinade, grill however you want. Baste with honey. That's it.

But here, we're gonna test Lau's interpretation and I can damn well see I'm gonna do a better job because it will be a live fire version like it was intended to be.

Not an oven. :cool:

But that's it for now. The neighbour is telling me the fire is getting lit and there will be beverages.

So go smoke a fatty for a bit.

BRB.

Cheers.

SA

Sounds like a great plan! I made char siu on the grill once a handful of years ago. It was great. I should do it again. :thumb:

The Rest of the Cook....

I've just finished an 11 hour Ambo shift. Pretty good day considering it is virtually Australia's biggest day with the AFL Grand Final on today. A bit buggered, but 2 fingers of Scotch and a Staples Singers album spinning let me tell you how it all went!:biggrin1:

When I got to Andy's place (next door neighbour), this was happening
P-20230929-164228.jpg

He had no idea what I was planning. I'd just told him to "light the pit!" :rockon:

Which he did.

Now most of you Brothers will join the dots here, but the plan was to raise that grate high enough to hang my Char Sui hooks on it and place the cast iron plate over the fire to direct the flames onto the hanging char siu, like so...
P-20230929-173152.jpg

And basically let the magic happen with moving the meat closer or further along the rod as required.
P-20230929-173439.jpg

More live fire shots:
P-20230929-173510.jpg

P-20230929-174534.jpg

And I gotta say this worked a treat. If you go to YouTube and look for how traditional Peking Duck and the like is cooked, the principles are very much the same. There is a lot to be said for a pit like this with an CI plate and something to hang some meat from.

So. Took the meat off for a final baste of honey as per the recipe.
P-20230929-175949.jpg

Back on for a quick sear.
P-20230929-180314.jpg

Then invested in the versatility of this redneck pit to accommodate arriving friends with additional requirements.
P-20230929-180716.jpg

Took off the Char Siu and wrapped in foil for a while to rest.
P-20230929-181000.jpg

Chopping time.
P-20230929-182910-EDIT.jpg

And because Aussie play no favourites, nobody's food is too good for anyone else, so it all got put together.
P-20230929-183256.jpg

Along with a well earned side dish... :becky:
P-20230929-183759.jpg

With the arrival of other friends it was plastic plates and help yourself..
P-20230929-184003-EDIT.jpg

So as you can see, a magic plated shot is not a strength of mine. :icon_blush:

And there was approval from the gallery: Juzzy was happy.
P-20230929-190418.jpg

Last edited:
Prologue: About Lau's Recipe.

Brethren.

That recipe is killer, but ONLY from the benefit of my esteemed experience marrying Asian flavours with true pit cooking ... Waffle Waffle...:pound::pound::pound:

But seriously, there is only one thing wrong with the recipe, which I suspected from the start. 8TBS Brown sugar is nuts. I used 4 and it was still a little too sweet. Use 2 TBS and then baste twice in honey mix and it's the bomb. I think Lau might have sweetened up the recipe for US tastes, but this is WAY overdone.

How was the result. That pork, done the way shown here will win you any open pork category in any comp up to the American Royale, and I am not F'ing kidding. The smokiness, the flavour, the succulence... Wholly crap, my friends just could not believe it.

In addition to that, I've made a lot of this stuff and I've eaten it at a million restaurants. This was the best I've ever had with 2nd place in the dust.

It's gonna be hard for me to eat this in another restaurant because of the result here, so you brisket guru's will know what I mean.

Go get yourselves the ingredients. Watch Lau. Live fire it in a PBC or something like that. You will not regret it.

Cheers. Sorry for the ranting. It was that good.

Bill

Back