THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NonSavaunt

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Savaunt
Ordered a Que-Deville this summer and just heard back from Rob that it will be shipped out this next week - I am beyond excited to receive it finally! I am upgrading from my homemade UDS trio.

I know there will be a learning curve, but anyone have tips on how to run this the most effective way? I normally run my UDS setup hot and fast (300-325*F) with lump charcoal and wood chunks...will I need to go back to low and slow with briquettes and wood chunks with this new setup?

Attachments

Great choice. I have had mine for over four years now and still love it. Use it all the time.

I smoke most stuff at 275 and 300 for chicken.

I find briquettes run more consistently than lump but both work fine.

I run a FireBoard with a fan to make my life simpler. I set for a temp a bit below my target temp because the FireBoard will overshoot it. Then I will set for my target temp once it gets close.

I haven’t run without the FireBoard since I first got it. It ran fine/stable without it, but I like the control and simplicity the FireBoard added.

Last edited:
Had mine for a couple of years now and I still love it. I find that it runs fantastic anywhere from 225 to 400. I do have a Fireboard though, so that helps. If I snake the charcoal and wood, and run it at 250, I can honestly get about 16-20hrs out of it. My biggest learning curve has been in trying to prevent the run away temps after opening it up to wrap, if I need to. It took me a while to learn how to dial it back a bit and then ease it back up. User ignorance..... I found Rob wonderful to work with.

I hope you enjoy yours just as much as I have enjoyed mine.:rockon:

Attachments

I hope you enjoy yours just as much as I have enjoyed mine.:rockon:[/QUOTE]

Did you put larger wheels on it ? If so, was there an issue with the original ?

Great choice. I have had mine for over four years now and still love it. Use it all the time.

I smoke most stuff at 275 and 300 for chicken.

I find briquettes run more consistently than lump but both work fine.

I run a FireBoard with a fan to make my life simpler. I set for a temp a bit below my target temp because the FireBoard will overshoot it. Then I will set for my target temp once it gets close.

I haven’t run without the FireBoard since I first got it. It ran fine/stable without it, but I like the control and simplicity the FireBoard added.

What fan do you use with the FireBoard? I have a LavaLock fan setup for my drums that I have been using for the better part of 6 years. I am looking for something that has a high AND a low temperature alarm for my overnight cooks. I've had a couple of unfortunate cooks where the drum ran out of charcoal overnight and I wasn't alarmed the temps started to go down.

I hope you enjoy yours just as much as I have enjoyed mine.:rockon:

Did you put larger wheels on it ? If so, was there an issue with the original ?[/QUOTE]

I didn't request anything special except for all 4 wheels to swivel. It'll live in my garage and doesn't need to go anywhere but just outside the door, so I didn't see a need for bigger wheels.

What fan do you use with the FireBoard? I have a LavaLock fan setup for my drums that I have been using for the better part of 6 years. I am looking for something that has a high AND a low temperature alarm for my overnight cooks. I've had a couple of unfortunate cooks where the drum ran out of charcoal overnight and I wasn't alarmed the temps started to go down.

Fan is from auber instruments. I got an adapter for it to screw on the ball valve intake. I had the fan from a temp controller i bought from them previously.

You can set high and low alarms to your phone with FireBoard.

Back