Busting BBQ Myths

Outdoor cooking, maybe, but is it Real BBQ?
If you go to one of our local HEB grocery stores here in central Texas you'll see a virtual sea of cookers in the store fronts, by the front doors and while there are a few gas grills or charcoal grills the overwhelming majority are a variation or type of smoker and usually several offset stick burners. Here's a good example of what you'll see at (not a Lowes or a Home Depot) but at a grocery store here...
http://www.lyfetyme.com/pits.html
... so while we do like to grill some hot dogs and burgers on occasion yeah,... it's mostly real BBQ being made around here.:wink:

Last edited:
Not so much from members on this forum because they know better(I hope :mrgreen:) but the stigma that only southerners know anything about bbq is alive and well in the South....Can't see that changing anytime soon.

We all agree that fall off the bone does not apply to pork ribs.
I'm not a sauce person myself but always have sweet baby rays in the fridge for whoever wants it. My ideology is that it's used as make-up...to cover blemishes in the cook.
I use more BBQ sauce on my hamburgers than anything I BBQ.

I smoke my burgers (idirect on my Weber kettle) with bourbon barrel wood. In fact I only direct cook veggies on the grill. Am I going to hell?

Nope,.. your going to flavor town !! :thumb: But that direct cook could use a steak or two. Even if only for the final sear of a reverse sear method. :razz:
No, hell is reserved for those of us who were born and raised in regions of the country that are steeped in BBQ tradition such as us Texans and folks from the deep south that are supposed to know better.
The Texas BBQ Bible... (found in an empty Shiner Bock keg, in the same cave as the dead sea scrolls)... clearly states that Texans who grill veggies and pass them off as BBQ will be damned to an eternity of operating a cheap offset in a driving sleet storm with wet wood,... or at least that's what my Grandpa told me and he never lied!:shock::becky:

I'm trying to make the world's best BBQ in the Laurel Highlands of PA! The heck with all you all. Seriously, the best BBQ I ever tasted was in Chicago 30 years ago and I can't for the life of me remember the name of the restaurant.

I ate at Smoque in Chicago. It has hit many top BBQ lists, and to be honest it wasn't that special. Good? Yes. Great? No. The best item I had were ribs. Now that is not to say that there isn't some fine BBQ being cooked in Chicago, but I doubt it is at a restaurant.

I lived in TN/Memphis for 18 years, and you have to try hard to not find good BBQ (pork). (DO NOT ORDER BRISKET IN MEMPHIS). So far, the most northern joint I have had that impressed my was Pappy's in STL or Joe's or Q39 in KC.

Other joints I have been to that disappointed me were: Daisy May's NYC, Dinosaur Rochester, Syracuse... Maybe I'm too critical, because the folks I was with loved all of them...

Again, I know there are many on here that are from Yankee tracks that produce fine Que.

Agreed. I woke up this morning thinking about the post I read from the grand poohba about cooking with Franklin. I think we all think he is a myth in and of himself. But my revelation was that he and other great pit masters know THE EXACT MOMENT when the meat should come off and is ready. No thermopens. No worrying about the exact degree of the fire. They simply understand through EXPERIENCE when the meat is at its exact best and that it should come off. And yes central Texas Q is king because that's where the best pit masters are! It would be here if mueller and Franklin would move to denver!!! :p

:thumb:

Shiggin' & Grinnin' BBQ team may have a few things to say to the southerners.

Then again, I was born in TX.

Back