Busting BBQ Myths

I travel all over the country with my job. I hunt down BBQ joints everywhere I go. I've had some of the worst and some of the best BBQ in all regions. Bad beef in Texas. Good beef in Georgia and vice versa. I've had excellent Q in New England although the places that cook it good or bad are few and far between. No region has a monopoly on BBQ but I will say that the south as a region has far more places to get BBQ than any other region.

I believe in the 10,000 hour method. It has been proven that most star Athletes and successful people have spent more than 10,000 hours practicing there craft. I would say the average southern because they are exposed to BBQ at an earlier age may have some advantage at first when it comes to cooking BBQ but speaking from a northerner who feels like I know have about 3,000 hours of practice under my built. Along with some very large cooks 10-12 for 30 people and 3-4 for a restuarant with more than 60 plates served. Some northerners are gaining on you.

I just had my father who said he hated Brisket tell me he had know idea that my brisket was what it was supposed to taste and be like. I said why did you think you hated it before. He said his buddy from Texas. Named Texas Bill made some for him and it was tough, dry, and tasteless. So apparently not all of you southern's are born with a

SILVER BBQ PIT IN YOU BACKYARD(MOUTH)

Not sure where this thread is headed, but the biggest myth, in my opinion, is low and slow. Somewhere along the way, 225° became the "magic number" in BBQ. This leads to another popular myth, that the meat is "done when it's done and we just have to wait patiently".
Huh? Sorry, but if I'm gonna cook something it needs to be ready to eat on my schedule. If I have 10 people planning to eat dinner at 7, I'm not going to expect them to be cool with me sheepishly informing them "sorry, it's BBQ, it's done when it's done".
I smoke pretty much everything at 300° nowadays, have no stalls and have easily predictable cook times. Whole chicken? 90 minutes. 8lb pork butt? 8 hours including rest time. Baby back ribs? 4 hours including rest time. Brisket? Don't know and don't care. I don't really like brisket so haven't bothered to mess with it much. One of these days I'll give it a whirl and see if I can change my opinion, but for now I don't mind not having it in my repertoire.

I believe in the 10,000 hour method. It has been proven that most star Athletes and successful people have spent more than 10,000 hours practicing there craft. I would say the average southern because they are exposed to BBQ at an earlier age may have some advantage at first when it comes to cooking BBQ but speaking from a northerner who feels like I know have about 3,000 hours of practice under my built. Along with some very large cooks 10-12 for 30 people and 3-4 for a restuarant with more than 60 plates served. Some northerners are gaining on you.

So you are going to be a BBQ Outlier are you?!?

"It's done when it's done" is not myth. Think about it. You can go "low n slow"or "hot n fast"...but it still can't be done until it's done. :grin: (I prefer HnF- I like the idea of seeing my start and dine times on a watch face without resorting to math.)

"It's done when it's done" is not myth. Think about it. You can go "low n slow"or "hot n fast"...but it still can't be done until it's done. :grin: (I prefer HnF- I like the idea of seeing my start and dine times on a watch face without resorting to math.)

I'm with you...once I start using my toes to count it gets difficult. :doh:

Back