THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
It's not all that often that I try my hand at brisket, usually I turn it into pastrami. But this weekend I figured I'd give it a go, brisket isn't one of my stronger cooks.

This was a small flat, around 3 lbs. Trimmed it, seasoned with Oakridge Competition Beef and Pork rub. I gave the Goldens' a thorough cleaning as after the pizza cook I actually had water sitting under the firebox. Not good in a cast iron cooker. It rained like hell when I was grilling those pizzas. High temp burnout and it was good to go.

Set up with the divider plate, indirect two zone smoking. Some hickory chunks mixed in with the lump, temps around 300. It's on -

xAfMTG2.jpg

Few hours in -

HrJm20z.jpg

Nearly done. Unwrapped the entire time, about 6 hours. I probably should have taken it off 5 degrees earlier (around 195F) but I wasn't paying attention despite using the Smoke -

9w3oLwt.jpg

Let it rest and sliced it up. To me, it looks a tad overdone, but it was quite moist, tender, passed the hang test and the tug. Bottom line: it tasted great and that's all that matters -

HsW7AQ9.jpg

QdqxYd9.jpg

Plated -

IwR8zTV.jpg

mLiiEwb.jpg

Next time I'll buy a bigger one and pay more attention to temps. All in all though, a successful cook.

Thanks for reading through to the end of this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

Looks alright to me! I think that the bigger ones are easier to cook than the little ones. Not sure if it's psychological or not.

Lookin’ good buddy! How long have you been cooking on that Golden now? Definitely a lifetime cooker :)

Looking pretty good there! Like ya said, next time will be better! Every cook is a learning experience.

Those golden grills are monsters in weight alone. I got up close & personal with some recently. Would not want to move them after the first time.

Lookin’ good buddy! How long have you been cooking on that Golden now? Definitely a lifetime cooker :)

I think I've had it four years now. Still going strong and no regrets.

A quick search back through the forum - I bought it in the Spring of 2017, so 4 years of ownership.

Dom, nice brisket. Consider a whole packer next time. Brisket point is where it’s at.

I have to say, the Goldens is a interesting cooker. Yours is the only one I know of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I saw the thread title, I knew that I had to look because a regular brisket cook isn't an every day thing for you, but you handled that quite well and the results show it. When it comes to the flat, I will take moist over slightly overcooked any day, so I would call that very successful!

Back