THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne
Name or Nickame
Bill
G'Day Bruces :becky:

Nothing like brass monkey weather, a lockdown, and a big shed with plenty of room to make you think about sausages.

Last time I made sausages was an unmitigated disaster. This time with the weather, the time and the right gear I got it all together.

The recipe and other stuff is down the bottom if you're interested.

So I started with these things:
20200709-145703.jpg

20200709-152053.jpg

20200709-153834.jpg

20200709-154129.jpg

Removed the point. I'll keep this for something else
20200709-145850.jpg

This is where I deviated from the recipe below. Last time I made these I totally stuffed up so I thought I'd invest in the proper Crown Boerewors mix.
20200709-155600.jpg

Added the seasoning to the mix and let this sit overnight in the fridge. This is an important step according to IamMadMan and these guys.

Got the mincer going the next day
20200710-104013.jpg

20200710-104039.jpg

2 times through my 9mm Plate. 1 time through my 5mm plate. Placing in the chest freezer between runs. (important).

Nice fat content:
20200710-113256.jpg

Taste Test was awesome:
20200710-111930.jpg

I then mixed and bound it up to get the tack in the fat.
20200710-114653.jpg

On to the stuffing, using hog casings 28/32
20200710-134201.jpg

All up I made 7.3 kilos of Boerewors and a few patties.
20200710-143252.jpg

And the best bit:
20200710-190051.jpg

Sharing with my South African Friend: He's sending pics to his family back home.
20200710-191318.jpg

These were the best sausages I've ever made. The spice mix was worth investing in. I'm kinda now looking at how much extra mucking around you have to do to get all your own spices and can still screw it up. Better to concentrate on the meat and fat, the processing and the eating!
20200710-191638.jpg

Anyway, thanks for looking. Will be doing another run soon. Making Andouille!

THE IMPORTANT BITS:
The important thing about Boerewors (so I'm told) is the ratio of proteins used and the high fat content required.

Basic ratios:

Beef (Brisket or Chuck):2000g
Pork Shoulder: 1000g
Bacon: 500g
Pork Back Fat: 500g ( I added More Fat)

This ratio was taken from a very old SA recipe:

Sent: Sunday, April 27, 1997 6:24 AM
Subject: Recipe: Boerevors (2)

The rec.food.cooking FAQ has conversion tables.

TRADITIONAL BOEREVORS

Taken from "Biltong en Boerevors" published by the Meat Board"
South Africa 1991. This recipe won First Prize in a National
competition and is tried and tested.

2 Kg prime beef
1 Kg pork
20 g Coriander (50ml)
2 ml ground cloves
2 ml ground nutmeg
30 g fine salt (25ml)
5 ml freshly ground black pepper
500 g bacon (important)
100 ml vinegar
approx 90g intestinal casing (Pork is better)

To prepare coriander: 15ml produces 5ml Place in dry pan, heat and
stir until light brown. Grind, sieve to remove husk. Grind remainder
to a fine powder.

Cut meat into 50mm blocks. Mix in with herbs. Mince pork beef and herb
mixture. Not too fine. Cut bacon into small blocks. Add vinegar and
bacon to minced meat and mix.

Stuff casing with mixture. (NOT too tightly.)

Cheers!

Bill

That texture looks better than the ones I made.
Mine was much Coarser, recipe from my South African mates.
I,m going to try your recipe.They look Tasty

Mix from Sydney?

Awesome post, Bill!

Looks like a right nice "shed" for your labor of love.

The Boerewors sure came out looking nice, and your friend from across The Pond seemed to have a grand time.

Thanks for sharing!

Very nice! I agree on the spice mixes too - there are some recipes that don’t call for much beyond salt and pepper and then fresh herbs and garlic...I’ll tackle those myself. But when there is 10+ different spices in a recipe, I too prefer to focus on meat, fat, and the process :thumb:

Mix from Sydney?

https://www.satooz.com.au/

These people are really good.

As to the texture I think next time I will chunk up the bacon and not grind it. That;s what the recipe calls for but I missed that bit. Texture and Fat was A1 though!

Mix from Sydney?

IM from Durban South Africa now living in UK and make about 20 -30 kg at a time when I make. The traditional boerewors is coarse in texture. Your mix is almost like making sausage where it’s put through the grinder multiple times and makes it much more denser sausage. I use a number 8 plate and only run it once through the grinder and then I use a stuffer. A person should not be rolling it around to make the fat tacky. Remember this is boerewors and not the usual sausage.

The meat cuts you used are very expensive cuts of meat. We use flank or usually chuck which is much cheaper and tastes great.

Well done though you did a bang up job with the wors!! :grin::grin: When you make again try and get “Plaaswors ” boerewors spice Also from Crown spices.

When you cook it on the braai do not poke holes in the wors skin otherwise the fat and juices will escape and can then be very dry. You can also fry it in a frying pan with some onions and tomatoes. Mmmmm delicious!!

Love that! It's pretty hard to go back to store bought sausage after making yer own. Good on ya for the IAMM and Marianksi shoutouts - they tread the righteous sausage path!
I've never tried Boerewors sausage, but it looks fantastic - nicely done!

OK. I have not made sausage for some years now. Going to get back to it. Will make some kolbasz again. The grinder and stuffer have been on the shelf long enough, LOL.

Back