Beef ribs on the BGE XL

KORND4WG X

is One Chatty Farker
My butcher hooked me up with some beef chuck ribs instead of the puny ones they usually carry that barely have any meat. I trimmed some of the hard fat and silver skin and rubbed it with Tom Douglas steak rub.

I decided to show the XL some love and loaded it up with mesquite lump.

I also added some sweet potatoes and finished with a pork loin that I let get to IT of 142, then removed everything, opened the vents and seared off. I was cooking for my wife's friends so I didn't get any sliced or plated pics but they seemed to enjoy the meal :icon_blush:

THE BGE is probably my least used cooker but might be my most versatile and easy to use- as soon as I dialed it in it held 250-260 for 7hrs with no problem. Love it :thumb:

Good looking shorties. FWIW, if you have a Sam's close by, you can get really nice beef ribs there. They have them vacuum packed in the back, not in the display case. They slice them thin for sale, but you can get them whole on request. They are absolutely full of meat.

I asked the butcher at BJs if they had uncut beef short ribs, and he told me that they would be 50 cents cheaper per pound if I bought the cryovac package of 4 plates instead of him splitting them up and repackaging. Um, yeah! I'll take that! I vacuum sealed the ones I didn't use that weekend, and now I have a nice little treasure trove of 3 more packages of beef ribs in my freezer. I agree, they are much meatier than any other beef ribs most of us can get.

Good looking shorties. FWIW, if you have a Sam's close by, you can get really nice beef ribs there. They have them vacuum packed in the back, not in the display case. They slice them thin for sale, but you can get them whole on request. They are absolutely full of meat.

We don't usually go there as we go to Costco but I am on the hunt so will check it out :thumb:

I asked the butcher at BJs if they had uncut beef short ribs, and he told me that they would be 50 cents cheaper per pound if I bought the cryovac package of 4 plates instead of him splitting them up and repackaging. Um, yeah! I'll take that! I vacuum sealed the ones I didn't use that weekend, and now I have a nice little treasure trove of 3 more packages of beef ribs in my freezer. I agree, they are much meatier than any other beef ribs most of us can get.

Yes I was disappointed when he started separating them but he was already helping me out so I didn't say anything. Next time I'll say something before hand :clap2:

Thanks for checking in folks. Appreciate it.

Beef ribs as they aren't quite where I love them and I feel that I should. Now that I know I can get some meaty ones I'll be working be working on it this summer :grin:

That's how we buy ours too - it's a ton of beef, but that is not a bad thing!

Kornd4wg - your ribs look excellent! We cooked 2 racks Monday and are having leftovers for dinner.

That's how we buy ours too - it's a ton of beef, but that is not a bad thing!

Kornd4wg - your ribs look excellent! We cooked 2 racks Monday and are having leftovers for dinner.

Thank you sir. I'm looking forward to my next attempt using a full rack like you guys :thumb:

Beef ribs, especially shorts - they take a lot of heat and time to render tender and render the fat. If you're working with sliced - separate ribs like that, then your yield tends to be lower. Because of the amount of cooking required, side edges tend to jerky out.

I always line my racks with bacon attached with toothpicks to increase yield on those exposed sides edges. It works too! And the bacon is a real cooks treat! Give it a try.

Back