BBQ beans with raw brisket?

freshmex18

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Chris
Making my second brisket ever in a few weeks (the last one was 10 years ago and I don't remember much from that cook). I have been watching videos of how to trim a brisket and I am seeing small chunks of meat come off that could be used for something else. Everything I have come across tells me to save the trimmings for sausage or ground beef but I don't have a meat grinder or a sausage stuffer. So how can I use the leftover trimmings? I plan on making tallow from the fat but what about the leftover meat bits?

There will be a pot of BBQ baked beans on the menu and I figured that would be a good use for them. My recipe calls for starting with dry beans that go into the Instant Pot for 20 minutes before being added to a pot with the bacon and vegetables that simmers for an hour or two. If I were to add the meat, how would I prepare it? Should I brown the meat in the pot after the bacon and let it simmer in the pot? Would that 1-2 hour cook be enough to get the meat tender? Should the raw meat go into the instant pot with the beans to extend the cooking time for maximum tenderness? Should the chunks go into the smoker in a pan alongside the trimmed brisket for a shorter cook time to get smoke flavor and get tender first and then get added to the beans later? How would you all go about this?

Also, what else would you all use these meat bits for if not beans, sausage, or ground beef? I don't want to waste expensive and delicious meat if I don't have to.

Putting the trimmings into the Instant Pot with the dry beans will definitely get the meat cooked, but not sure what it will do for the flavor of the Beef. I'd be careful about how much fat goes in too unless you plan to skim it before the beans go into the longer cook.
Putting the trimmings on the Smoker would definitely give more flavor than straight into the Instant Pot, but not sure how tender it would get, unless you allow plenty of time for that before you start your beans.......not like you have to rush the beans if you are going to serve with the Brisket.
Try a bit of both and see where you end up liking it the best? Let us know.

I should add that I am making the brisket the day before and resting all night in the oven on the lowest setting. The beans I will make the next day in the morning before guests show up. So I can smoke the trimmings for whatever time the day before. I was worried since the videos all day that you remove these bits of meat because they are too skinny and will burn up over the long cook and get removed anyway. But If they are removed and cooked separately, is there any reason they can't be taken to 203 in a shorter amount of time and removed? If so, I assume I would have to cut them into as similar sized pieces as possible.

Also, I am talking about just the meat trimmings being cooked and added to the beans, not the fat. The fat will be made into tallow separately. Though now that I think about it, maybe I will sauté the vegetables in the smoked tallow....

Back