THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks delicious!

I like tacos de tripas. But I really like tacos de cabeza and tacos de lengua.

I ate chitlins once and will never eat them again. Love to see different cooks like this.

I have never tried Tripas but I sure would after seeing this thread. How dirty/gross are the Tripas when you buy them and what is the hot ticket to get them clean?
Thanks for the post!

I have never tried Tripas but I sure would after seeing this thread. How dirty/gross are the Tripas when you buy them and what is the hot ticket to get them clean?
Thanks for the post!

Not sure about tripas,but I can get chitlins hand slung,creek washed or stump whooped. :laugh:

Thanks for the post!
marty, the way i clean tripas is run water through each tripa till clear water comes out, the tripas come in long pieces so after washing one i go ahead and cut it about 8-10" long pieces, just repeat till all tripas are clean.:-D

Great job! One of my favorite tacos when prepared right and fried crisp, thanks for posting and keeping your heritage alive....

Thanks for the post!

Marty, the way I was taught to clean chitlins is outside using the garden hose. Simply slide the intestine over the hose end, turn it on, and keep it running until the water runs clear. :thumb:

And the Tripas looks awesome!

Thanks for the post!

My cleaning method is simple: have someone else do it! I hate looking at and touching those nasty things when they're raw, reminds me of the ending to Braveheart. Once they're cleaned I take over from there. Also add onion, bay leaf, and garlic to the boiling water (sorry forgot to mention that). Thanks for all of the comments everybody.

Also, if anybody decides to try these for themselves, some things to keep in mind:

1. Tripas shrink a lot once they start boiling. The first pic with the full hotel pan is the same batch that is in the skillet after boiling. The whole cook was done in one batch so yes they shrink that much.

2. I highly recommend not cooking them inside the house. As you can see from the pics we cook them outside. They have a strong smell that will quickly permeate your entire house. Not a bad smell but not exactly something I would bottle and sell as cologne either. Plus whatever mess you make outside will be enjoyed by the dogs.

3. They do not come pre cut so after they are cleaned cut them into 4"-6" lengths. Once they shrink down they will be about 1" (perfect for tacos).

Also, if anybody decides to try these for themselves, some things to keep in mind:

1. Tripas shrink a lot once they start boiling. The first pic with the full hotel pan is the same batch that is in the skillet after boiling. The whole cook was done in one batch so yes they shrink that much.

2. I highly recommend not cooking them inside the house. As you can see from the pics we cook them outside. Plus whatever mess you make will be enjoyed by the dogs.

3. They do not come pre cut so after they are cleaned cut them into 4"-6" lengths. Once they shrink down they will be about 1" (perfect for tacos).

No kidding there! Is the smell as strong as pork?

I've never made pork chitlins so I don't know. It's probably stronger smelling than anything else that usually gets cooked on the stove that's for sure. I remember when I was a kid my mom was cooking some tripas on the stove. My dad worked nights and slept during the day and he got up to tell us in his not so very nice way that we were never making those in the house ever again. We started using the turkey fryer after that!

Back