Anyone going to the American Royal?

Juggy, my wife and I will be out there Friday night. I don't know what our exact plans are, but if I can steal a few minutes away, I'll try to swing by!

Would hate to miss the last year of Juggy's Juicers at the Royal :wink:

I meant to post this earlier, Juggy, but you got a mention by KCBS CEO Rod Gray in this month's Bullsheet:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230927-154405.jpg
    Screenshot_20230927-154405.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 118
Sorry, it turned out a little blurry, too much Beer, man.

Ron, Nice pun! I resemble both of those interpretations. I was able to read that 'cause I am used to reading blurry things. Nice to see Rod mentioned my name on the KCBS site. He stopped by the BBQ Forum's Royal party that my dad and I hosted back in 1999. Rod was not yet a competitor at that time. He just showed up at the party as he was active on Ray's forum and wanted to meet some internet friends as well as check out how BBQ contests went. I am not sure, but I think the Brethren page had not been on the internet at that time. Rod started competing a year or two later and he rose to the top quickly. We cooked near each other at several contests including the AR.

NoNotTheDuo, I am not sure how long I will be gone from our site. I will be leaving about 4:00 pm and should be back about 7:00. I have a private party to attend and I would like to be able to attend the Hall of Flame ceremony to honor Ray as well as Darren. Byron, Bill are all going in. I am fortunate to know all of them too. I have to cook jambalaya for the crew Friday night and I want to get started by 7:00. Stop by and have a bowl (of jambalaya that is) and I will be glad to buy you a beer. Stop by our spot and ask for Juggy. I should be easy to recognize as I will be the ugliest one in the bunch........

I bet you are full of stories Juggy, and one of these days, maybe I'll be able to sit down and have a beer with you and hear some of them. You're correct that the BBQ Brethren wasn't in existence back in '99, I think it was officially in 2003 that the Brethren was born, but a lot of the members were around on a site on Yahoo and because of some of the antics, that's why the BBQ Brethren came into being. "Snot storm" is the battle cry.

Ron, I am not only full of stories, I am also full of $h!t. Dad told me when I was a young one that I was so full of it, that is the reason for my eyes being so brown. Wish I would have kept a log of my Royal experiences. Maybe we will share a beer someday. One of the first BBQ related web sites I found was a Usenet group whose members were notorious for being obnoxious and obscene and those were their good qualities. Most of their threads turned into p!$$!ng contests and had very few actual BBQ tips or recipes. Finding Ray's site was a blessing. I have enjoyed this site too as I have been here for 17 years. I did have a ten year period of lurking due to having no time for posting and responding to posts I made.

Big George, Thanks for the kind words. I would love to meet you too. I did get to meet Scott aka NoNotTheDuo at a party held to honor Ray Basso on Friday night. Had an interesting and emotional time talking to some old BBQ Forum friends that I exchanged emails, posts, banters and friendships from almost 25 years ago, Year number 33 was a good time, but I don't know if my legs and knees can take 72 hours of standing on asphalt on 12 hours sleep. Good thing I am retired. No way I could have worked today.

Big George, Thanks for the kind words. I would love to meet you too. I did get to meet Scott aka NoNotTheDuo at a party held to honor Ray Basso on Friday night. Had an interesting and emotional time talking to some old BBQ Forum friends that I exchanged emails, posts, banters and friendships from almost 25 years ago, Year number 33 was a good time, but I don't know if my legs and knees can take 72 hours of standing on asphalt on 12 hours sleep. Good thing I am retired. No way I could have worked today.

Was so good to meet you, Juggy! And funny that we both ended up at Steph's site.

I sure don't envy you for being out there in the heat and on the asphalt for 3 days. I'm glad I have the BBQ friends I do, so that I can come and enjoy the Royal for a few hours and then head home to a nice, comfy bed :razz:

Scott, That was a weird coincidence meeting a Steph's party. I did not mention her party in my post as she posted on Facebook that is was an invitation only party. I went anyway......... I have known Steph for 20+ years. I enjoyed meeting you and talking with you. Maybe we will cross paths next year at the AR, that is if this year was not my last...............

Back