THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokerKing

is One Chatty Farker
Buddy of mine just bought a new 18" Weber, I know, odd size, but it fits the niche for Webers.
Thing came with short legs as all Webers do. I happened to have an old garage stool base that was laying around. Hey, let's build a high boy 18" Weber!
Of course, I had to add a Santa Maria accessory. The cool part is that the lid can go over the grate as the Santa Maria is raised and lowered if you want.
Modeled it after my first 18" Weber Santa Maria....works great!

MtC89H.jpg

xLNfCS.jpg

DWnR7d.jpg

NcsHFt.jpg

lZYPwb.jpg

Good ole' American ingenuity. Looks great. Would love to see that on a 26".

Did you buy the Santa Maria apparatus already made or did you fabricate it?

Being able to fit the lid on the grate is a big help on some cooks. I have a 22" SM /weber but the spacing is too tight for the lid. Luckily, I have a Jumbo Joe lid when I need it.

nice job...

as always, sir.

You have a talent that I wish I possessed. Very nice work. Would like larger pictures for greater detail. I'd like one for one of my 26" kettles.

Thanks,

Robert

Being able to fit the lid on the grate is a big help on some cooks. I have a 22" SM /weber but the spacing is too tight for the lid. Luckily, I have a Jumbo Joe lid when I need it.

nice job...

as always, sir.

Thanks!, you are correct, this is the second unit I fabricated that allows the lid to cover the grate. I spread the vertical further apart to allow the lid to rest on the lid catcher. See the last picture, bent 1/4" rod welded to the lift? That captures the inside detent of the lid, keeping it from sliding off the lift brackets.

I used to to do the same thing, but used the Smokey Joe lid on my 22"...:biggrin1:

Last edited:
You have a talent that I wish I possessed. Very nice work. Would like larger pictures for greater detail. I'd like one for one of my 26" kettles.

Thanks,

Robert

Thanks sir!

I fabricated one for a 26" a couple weeks ago and shipped it to a friend in TX. I use flange rings for the Santa Maria base 22" and 26" kettles. Similar to the Gabby SM.

I have pics of the Santa Maria before I shipped it, but not on his 26" kettle. I do have a couple more 26" Santa Maria builds coming up for the 26".

Here's a SM accessory I made for a 26", buyer wanted a high lift clearance of 24".

3ps94F.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't that a bit top heavy?
Ed

Before we started, I thought the same thing. But he wanted to re-purpose the garage stool base.

Surprisingly, it's very stable and the base is heavy. It's 38" tall from the floor to the grate. The Santa Maria is 19" tall and pretty light. I used 1/8" steel for everything.

The Santa Maria is removable, I bent a ring to fit on the inside of the kettle and rest on the 4) grill grate stand offs. The angle brackets are welded to that inside ring and support the verticals as they rest on the lip of the kettle for more stability.

:thumb:

That's pretty sharp - nice work! Hope you'll post some pics of it in action...

I'm sure he'll send some. He grills several times a week. I feel guilty though. I kind of talked him into the 18". His wife, "another grill!", lol.

I found the 18" with the Santa Maria is the perfect size for two people. The Smokey Joe is way too small, the 22" too big for most cooks.

Since I got my 18", it's the only Weber that gets action on a weekly basis. I should just retire the SJ. I still do chicken wings and smoked beer butts on the 22" since I have the vortex and the expander ring.

Hmmm, do I need a 26"er next? :bolt:

Last edited:
Amazing work, neighbor! When I am in the market for SM for my 22" I know who to contact :clap:

Not too far from me! Hope you guys get some rain over there!

that looks great! I'd love to get a 26" and trick it out.

Back