THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

parrothead

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Just grabbed a pig to cook starting tomorrow night. to serve up on wednesday around 3. Who in the heck plans a pig roast for 3 on wed afternoon. Oh well, i geuss any time is good to eat some slow cooked hickory smoked pig.

PORK FAT RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that sounds great! Wednesday is a bit weird, but, then what the heck??!!

What size pig? What cooker? Temperature goals? Rub, injection, mop??? Inquiring minds want to know.

You will, of course, give a report of progress and the ultimate results :D

Well, I will try to mirror the one I did a couple of weeks ago that turned out great. I don't care about doing a pig all in one piece, So I will quarter it and put the pieces on the racks. Tonight I will do the quartering and rub it down with just salt, pepper, garlic powder and red pepper. I'll let that sit over night in the fridge to throw on tomorrow night around 8ish.
I start my fire with charcoal and then go with just hickory for the rest of the cook. I will probably wrap it in foil around 6 in the morning, and it should be falling apart by noon. I will then take it off and wrap in towels until 1/2 hour before serving time. Thats the way it worked last time anyway. Oh yeah, I have a big pan in the box right next to the fire box that is filled with apple juice and water. I also will mop it down with half apple juice and half cooking oil every hour and a half or so.

The one I just did had the skin removed already, and it turned out fine, so I will take the skin off of this one. Gonna try to make some fresh porkrinds.

Come to think of it Dave, I don't think I ever checked internal temp of the meat. cooking chamber stayed at 200-225

Sounds great. I was just curious about your "plan". I, too, cook by time, temp, and the way the meat acts. I stick my instant read in just to verify temp -- especially with poultry and port. But, if the pork "pulls" it's ready to go (kinda like shaking "hands" wit the chicken to see if the joint it loose.

I haven't been to a pig roast in YEARS.. :D

Back