THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

redchaserron

Full Fledged Farker
My brother will be here all week helping out with a bathroom remodel so I’ve got to make sure there’s plenty of food in the fridge. Made a jambalaya with pork, smoked sausage and fresh sausage, and while not exactly barbecue I did make it with a smoked turkey and chicken wing stock that I had made.

I started with about 4lb of pork butt cubed and seasoned well (actually intentionally over seasoned). 1 1/2 pounds smoke sausage, 1 1/2 pounds fresh sausage. I start by browning the meats VERY well. First just the pork then I add in the sausages.
MEmJNjO.jpg

Browning well is critical the browned meats and well developed fond is what give jambalaya it’s color and much of its flabor.

I brown, then add some water to the pot, deglaze a bit, cook out the water re build the find and repeat about 3 times.

Once the meat is very well browned and the pot coated with fond I pull the meat, drain off excess fat then return the pot to heat and add my trinity of 2 diced onion, 2 bell pepper and 3 ribs of celery. I sweat them well letting the moisture they release deglaze the pot a little.
tnKCDia.jpg

Once the trinity is starting to brown I add about 4 Clove of chopped garlic and return the meat to the pot.

I brown the meat and trinity together for about 5 minutes stirring most of the time

TqgnHjY.jpg

Unlike when I’m just cooking rice, for jambalaya up to about 5 gallons I use a pretty strict 2 to one stock to rice ratio. For this batch I used 8 cups of stock which I added at this point

jGybYcs.jpg

I let the stock and meat come to a simmer and simmer for 10-20 minutes adjusting seasoning. I season with Tony’s additional salt, black pepper, white pepper, celery salt, garlic powder, a few bay leaves, ground thyme and oregano Worcestershire sauce, Louisiana hot sauce and a fair amount of soy sauce. You want thenliquid to be a little saltier and spicier than you want the finished jambalaya to be. While the meat and brother are simmering. I rinse 4 cups of rice very well. A big secret to getting great fluffy rice whether in a jambalaya or just cooking rice is to rinse it very well. Cajuns eat a lot of rice so we’ve got this down.

Once the broth has simmered a bit and I like where the seasoning is I add the rinsed rice
88L92ze.jpg

I stir in and bring the pot back to a boil. I let boil for 5-10 minutes until I can see the rice starting to swell

NkFXEMl.jpg

Once it’s at this point I add a bunch of chopped green onions and parsley and stir to make sure everything is incorporated evenly

uVfkMz6.jpg

I lower heat to a bare simmer, cover tightly and let it cook for 30 minutes undisturbed. No peeking.

After 30 minutes I kill the heat and open it up

Fr3xx4D.jpg

I test the rice to make sure it’s cooked then working my way around the pot I use a large spoon to “turn over” the jambalaya without really stirring it.

JHDGgKg.jpg

I re covered and let sit for about 10 minutes befor playing on fine Chinette

3fSopgm.jpg

Ca’ cest bon

I like it at the point where you added green onions and parsley. Its like a thick soup/stew. Just looks so much better then the final rice product.

Looks insanely good. No doubt it tasted amazing. Love me a good jambalaya.

Back