THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hotch

Staff member

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Hotch
This past Saturday 98 of the best HSBBQ Inc Texas High School BBQ Teams, all top 10 winners of the 13 regional competitions held across Texas, came together at Dell Diamond in Round Rock TX, competing to be the Texas State Champion. Each team had to turn in entries for Beans (Pinto), Dessert, Half Chicken, Ribs and Brisket.
The team load in starts Friday morning as the teams will come in throughout the day from all over the Great State of Texas. Friday evening is the team meeting going over the competition rules, Q&A, along with site conditions and turn in procedures/location. Dinner is then provided to all and lastly the team draw for the protein selection order.
Teams are required to be on site at 4:30 am Saturday morning in preparation of the 5:00 am team cook area setup and lighting of the pits. Each team has a 20'x20' cook area. All adults must leave the area by 6:00am. There is a 20' buffer zone between the kids and all adults. The proteins are selected Saturday morning at 6:00 am in order of a team number draw. All entries must be cooked on site. No "Pre Prep" is allowed. Dessert must be prepared from scratch and cooked on-site. All of the meat entries are to be cooked by wood or wood products. No propane, no pellet cookers and no fire assist devices (fans, temp controllers and such) are allowed.
Turn in times at State are:
Beans 9:00am
Dessert 10:00am
Chicken 12:00
Ribs 1:30pm 7 Bones
Brisket 3:00 7 Slices
I along with another Mentor, Jack Cashman of Cashman Q, had two teams from Prosper TX. Eagle BBQ and Wildcat BBQ.
Both teams led by Brett Claypoole, Culinary Arts wizard at Walnut Grove HS. He is amazing with these young people!
Our teams had a walk in dessert 4th place and 16th in ribs.

A big shout out to my good friends Dan and Cheryl Arnold of SuckleBusters. A Major Sponsor of HSBBQ Inc and many of the HSBBQ Teams.
Both Shelly and I worked the SuckleBusters booth selling rubs, sauces, hats and tee shirts throughout the event. All sold at a great price to the kids and others. Then at the awards presentation Saturday evening, Dan and Cheryl gave it all back to the kids by the way of the HSBBQ Inc Scholarships!

One of the highlights was the opportunity to meet Tootsie from Snow's BBQ. She was there with her team from Giddins TX.
Shelly and I both got a picture with her. Later on, she took a seat after turn ins were done, in the ballpark by the SuckleBusters pop up.
Sitting there taking a rest. I went over and we had a 25- 30-minute conversation about these kids in BBQ, the HSBBQ and a few other topics.
I must say in all my years of walking this earth she is one of the most gracious, kind, giving and heartwarming humans that I have ever had the pleasure to meet and talk with. Truly one of the greatest.

With around 500 students competing this year, I can absolutely say the future of BBQ is in good hands.

Attachments

ALL OF THIS...ALL OF THIS is awesome! This is so cool. One can only hope this spreads outside of Texas. Amazing work, Hotch!

A very worthy cause, a tremendous thanks and congratulations to everyone involved that makes these events a success. It is my goal to also meet Miss Tootsie, and it has been ever since I saw her on the Netflix special. She is definitely one of a kind and Texas is surely blessed to have her.

This past Saturday 98 of the best HSBBQ Inc Texas High School BBQ Teams, all top 10 winners of the 13 regional competitions held across Texas, came together at Dell Diamond in Round Rock TX, competing to be the Texas State Champion. Each team had to turn in entries for Beans (Pinto), Dessert, Half Chicken, Ribs and Brisket.
The team load in starts Friday morning as the teams will come in throughout the day from all over the Great State of Texas. Friday evening is the team meeting going over the competition rules, Q&A, along with site conditions and turn in procedures/location. Dinner is then provided to all and lastly the team draw for the protein selection order.
Teams are required to be on site at 4:30 am Saturday morning in preparation of the 5:00 am team cook area setup and lighting of the pits. Each team has a 20'x20' cook area. All adults must leave the area by 6:00am. There is a 20' buffer zone between the kids and all adults. The proteins are selected Saturday morning at 6:00 am in order of a team number draw. All entries must be cooked on site. No "Pre Prep" is allowed. Dessert must be prepared from scratch and cooked on-site. All of the meat entries are to be cooked by wood or wood products. No propane, no pellet cookers and no fire assist devices (fans, temp controllers and such) are allowed.
Turn in times at State are:
Beans 9:00am
Dessert 10:00am
Chicken 12:00
Ribs 1:30pm 7 Bones
Brisket 3:00 7 Slices
I along with another Mentor, Jack Cashman of Cashman Q, had two teams from Prosper TX. Eagle BBQ and Wildcat BBQ.
Both teams led by Brett Claypoole, Culinary Arts wizard at Walnut Grove HS. He is amazing with these young people!
Our teams had a walk in dessert 4th place and 16th in ribs.

A big shout out to my good friends Dan and Cheryl Arnold of SuckleBusters. A Major Sponsor of HSBBQ Inc and many of the HSBBQ Teams.
Both Shelly and I worked the SuckleBusters booth selling rubs, sauces, hats and tee shirts throughout the event. All sold at a great price to the kids and others. Then at the awards presentation Saturday evening, Dan and Cheryl gave it all back to the kids by the way of the HSBBQ Inc Scholarships!

One of the highlights was the opportunity to meet Tootsie from Snow's BBQ. She was there with her team from Giddins TX.
Shelly and I both got a picture with her. Later on, she took a seat after turn ins were done, in the ballpark by the SuckleBusters pop up.
Sitting there taking a rest. I went over and we had a 25- 30-minute conversation about these kids in BBQ, the HSBBQ and a few other topics.
I must say in all my years of walking this earth she is one of the most gracious, kind, giving and heartwarming humans that I have ever had the pleasure to meet and talk with. Truly one of the greatest.

With around 500 students competing this year, I can absolutely say the future of BBQ is in good hands.
Very fine work, Hotch!

Very cool post Hotch! Thanks for the pictures and story. Your post from a year or two about high school bbq competition crossed my mind within the last week or so and recalled how cool that was!

The Outlaw BBQ Association here allows for:
The head cook of the team registered for the event must be at least 14 years old and have a legal guardian present for the entire event.

Yeah, I have to say that should be an event that should spread. It is a life skill that is worthy of being taught, even if it is just as an afterschool activity. Too many kids don't know how to cook anything other than tossing something in a microwave now. Both my nephew (8th grade) and niece (5th grade) have no clue how to cook anything, when I know by the time I was in 4th grade I could cook a full breakfast (eggs, sausage, bacon, omelet, pancakes, french toast, etc) and by the time I was in 8th, I was cooking cheesesteaks (I'm in a Philadelphia suburb, and cheesesteaks are a rite of passage to learn to do correctly). I don't think they could put together a PB&J....

It's great what your doing for these young ones Hotch. I saw a documentary on Miss Tootsie and Snow's BBQ. That Lady is a national treasure. I know what you mean about today's youth. I just finished my second year talking to first year med students at LSU Shreveport. Each class is about 150 students. My brain surgeon ask me to do it and I'm glad to pertaining to deep brain simulation surgery. These kids are bright and hungry for knowledge. We hear such bad things about today's youth but seeing your kids and the ones I see, the next generation will be OK.

Man, Hotch, this is awesome! Great job investing in the youth, and this is such a great skill for them to learn at a young age. I wish I would have had an opportunity like this one day. We need to get this rolling in SC.

Back