***** 2017 Greater Chicago Area Summer Gathering - August 19, 2017 ****

Hmmm... Just realized a local grocery store has it's Hatch chile roast on the 19th as well. Anyone want some hatch chiles? Either fresh or roasted?

Hmmm... What time do you think you would be at the picnic? We have to leave around 1 to head to McHenry for the competition.

They open early, but the chile roasts don't start until 11am. According to Google, it's about a 35 minute drive, so I'd be at the bash by noon. Last year they were $50/case. $2/lb.

Hmmm... Just realized a local grocery store has it's Hatch chile roast on the 19th as well. Anyone want some hatch chiles? Either fresh or roasted?
They also sell them loose inside the store, but at a higher price. Don't recall how much they were last year and you'll have to roast yourself.

I’m not sure what I am bringing yet. What is everyone thinking about?
Probably do some chicken. Maybe jerk... But I'm trying some hot Hatch Chile marinade as we speak, so I might do that if it turns out well.

How is the grill space this year? Do I need to figure out how to get a grill out there? Since none of mine are portable...

Last edited:
Probably do some chicken. Maybe jerk... But I'm trying some hot Hatch Chile marinade as we speak, so I might do that if it turns out well.

How is the grill space this year? Do I need to figure out how to get a grill out there? Since none of mine are portable...

No one has mentioned what they are bringing for equipment or food, so it's hard to tell.

We are bringing a Coleman stove and a smokey joe

No Peoria?

I’m not sure what we are bringing. I have an idea but I am not sure that I will have time.

We’ll have the drums in the thrailer but since we’ll have to leave by 1 I probably won’t drag one out since it won’t have time to cool.

They also sell them loose inside the store, but at a higher price. Don't recall how much they were last year and you'll have to roast yourself.

Hey Andy-

I'd love a coupla' two-tree pounds if they still have 'em. Hot ones.

My local doesn't carry them any longer and I kinda miss them-they are really good. If you are able let me know. :thumb:

Thanks,
Tom

I'll be bringing the Shirley so there will be plenty of smoker room. I'll try to come early so she's up and running for whatever is needed. And I'll bring some goodies too, just not sure what... abts, wings, stuff like that I guess? Maybe some ribs? I'll probably bring the WGA too. Ron, what time are you showing up?

There is a remote, like very remote possibility I might show up. Just for a very short time before the quinceañera mentioned above.

I need to get new tires in the morning as I take my kid to SLU next week.

No, I won't be bringing anything to cook, and more importantly, I won't be eating any of your vittles! :-D There are just so many of you I'd like to either meet and place a name to the face, renew old acquaintances, and just get the initial one out of the way so that next year I can come and actually participate!!!

Shag, I still have half bottle of 90 day in the fridge. I was in Saugatuck for a week with the new blended family. Went to breakfast. Got a scramble, asked for hot sauce. They brought Tabasco and Cholula. Excellent! (I said to me self) I love Cholula.

I threw some on and dug in.

Wait.

What?

This didn't taste like it normally does!?!

That's because scrambled to me in the last 6 months means Shag's 90 day, not no damn regular or chili lime Cholula!

The eggs were not the same.

Thanks again for the gift at the Brethren winter lunch!

Side Story:
Anyone remember the carb free sauce we received as a generous gift from the winter lunch?
Just like you all to know that even though I knew it was a misprint, that sauce became me and the new wifes first "difference of opinion".

She kept pointing to the sugar grams and said it is not carb free. I kept pointing to the carb line and showing her, yep, its carb free.

I even made up some crap about the FDA not allowing people to say zero carbs if it wasn't.

She's a nurse, she was stymied.

I then told her I believe it was a misprint, it could not be carb free.

She punched me.

But for those of you that saw the pics in the wedding thread, she's so tiny, those little punches were lovely.

Anyway, we had a good laugh, and we used the Brethren mid winter "carb free" sauce on a little bit of pulled pork from the wedding. Farking full tray left over, plus an untouched brisket! Filipino food was completely gone. I need to find out what happened to seconds, I was way too busy.

Thanks again for the 90 day Shagdog!

Back