• Taco Basket from My Future Food Truck

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
I’ve had a number of ideas for restaurants I might start, among them, a taco truck that serves tacos on fresh, homemade tortillas. Homemade tortillas that are piping hot off the griddle and filled with delectable meats topped with onions and cilantro are one of life’s great pleasures.

Two of my favorite taco meats are fire-grilled carne asada, and local, artisan made chorizo. I season beef flap meat with seasoning salt, and marinate it in fresh orange juice along with cilantro and onion for many hours.

So here’s how the cook went down:

Early in the day, I made a batch of salsa roja and salsa verde, along with some fresh chips The Missus had fried up:

2x2zCXQ.jpg

Carne asada finishing up on the grill:

2vr7qpn.jpg

While I was doing this, The Missus was working on the homemade tortillas and crisping up the chorizo:

mNWEpGC.jpg

Sliced up the carne asada, first against the grain:

isfwI5g.jpg

Then in little cubes:

3MW9GH6.jpg

And finally, the taco basket – the chorizo taco is in the middle, flanked on each side by a carne asada taco. Salsa roja was drizzled on the carne asada tacos, while the chorizo got the salsa verde.

cQqWxx1.jpg

I ate six total. :mrgreen:

Thanks fer lookin’!

God D**n you guys can cook!
Deep down inside, I knew better than to look at this post with an empty stomach.

Damn it man... I just ate breakfast and now I want tacos! Those look beyond amazing :eusa_clap

Feel like I'm bragging* but I've had Richard's tacos and they are the best. Everything was homemade (I even learned how to roll out tortillas) and so very tasty.

So, yes, a food truck is a wonderful idea!

* just one more cool thing that happened a Brethren Bash.

Good lord - I also made the mistake of going through this post on an empty stomach. That looks so damn tasty!

Would love to see what went into that carne asada if you are willing to share. We make tacos/burritos all the time at my house - looking to mix it up with some different fillings.

Good lord - I also made the mistake of going through this post on an empty stomach. That looks so damn tasty!

Would love to see what went into that carne asada if you are willing to share. We make tacos/burritos all the time at my house - looking to mix it up with some different fillings.

John,

I detail my carne asada seasoning & marinade in this thread:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232211

The only thing I do differently is add a small amount of soy sauce(about 1 tsp per 4oz OJ) to the orange juice. When I first heard about this, I thought it was blasphemous, but apparently not in Mexico City, where it is added quite often to the OJ. Definitely adds a subtle umami to the meat, and also helps get a nice brown color on the meat.

Last edited:
Looks great.Be patient,take baby steps. That is a big thing to take on full blast.Research and dabble your toe in the water before jumping in.I hope your dreams come true but use judgement.

Back